News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

a better than your average article on Jack, i think:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=nicklaus
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

JWL

Re: ESPN article on Jack which includes some architecture discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 02:33:08 PM »
agreed.   One of the more accurate articles I've read about how Jack works and thinks about things and people.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
Excellent, thanks for posting the link.  A nice glimpse into the life of a driven man.  It does seem appropriate that he listens to Frank Sinatra on the plane, another man who did it his way.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:55:44 PM »
I'm interested to hear what people thought of Jack "moving holes" for the client so they could make more money on real estate.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 03:58:36 PM »
Loved the article also... particularly the mentions of a certain Mr. Lipe, whose initials ought to be familiar here.

;)

As for moving holes to make room for real estate, I read that as being a special situation in that one case... the idea being to make money as well as preserve a family legacy.

TH

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 04:33:22 PM »
Tom -- I don't disagree at all, but I could just hear the cries for making the real estate "more important" than the golf. It sounded to me like in that situation it was the classy move and the right one to make.

Sean Leary

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 05:16:26 PM »
I'm interested to hear what people thought of Jack "moving holes" for the client so they could make more money on real estate.

Cost of doing business. Not ideal, but often necessary to make a project go.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 09:59:24 PM »
That is a fine article about Jack.  I'd say based on my experience, it's about 98% accurate, and I have not said that about any article on anything for quite some time.

However -- I will also say that somebody could write a similar article about Jeff Brauer or Brian Silva or 100 other architects.  But of course they write 10 about Jack for every one about any of the others.  Partly because he's Jack, but also partly because of all the p.r. money behind all those projects he's building.

JC Urbina

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 02:12:11 AM »
  I thought the article was spot on. When we started Sebonack I really didn't know what to expect from our relationship with Jack but I can honestly say it was a treat to see how the other side of the spectrum operates.  When I read the section about his walkabout with his staff in the Dominican I could picture Jack, Jim Lipe and Chris Rule walking and exchanging ideas with Tom and myself at Sebonack.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 05:54:09 AM »
I am interested to see what Jack does with the land on Anguilla. I saw the island just for a day this winter and it was perfect for golf. No mountains on the island, just rolling terrain.

I saw Temanos the other Norman club on the island and basically all the natural plantings were taken out and it was turned into a Florida style course with plantings and lakes and stonework.....

In the words of Ran, opportunity missed. Hopefully Nicklaus takes a different path.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back