News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: The Honors Course
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2008, 01:28:49 PM »
Back in the day one could stop at Sam & Andy's for a steamed deli after a round at Holston.  That's a push with any fried chicken and banana pudding in my book.  Close runner up was the chili cheese dog / rooster w/ wheels combination at the NLE Smokey Mountain Market with a pint of Mayfield's chocolate milk. 

Go Vols.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Eric Smith

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2008, 04:07:48 PM »
Back in the day one could stop at Sam & Andy's for a steamed deli after a round at Holston.  That's a push with any fried chicken and banana pudding in my book.  Close runner up was the chili cheese dog / rooster w/ wheels combination at the NLE Smokey Mountain Market with a pint of Mayfield's chocolate milk. 

Go Vols.

Mike you sure know your stuff bro 8) Come pick me up in Cookeville on your way to K-town anytime, we'll go play Holston then get that steamed sub from Gus @ Good Time Deli along with the obligatory mayfield chocolate milk, and not the 2% version either! I usually add a banana moon pie for the bonus round.   ;D

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2008, 11:50:53 AM »
As for the 10 rounds, just let me know my time, it doesn't matter. I loved both of these places. The Honors remains the hardest and most intimidating course that I can remember. Carnoustie seemed like a walk in the park compared to The Honors. I was flat-out embarrassed by this course. I don't understand how people play really well here. I have only played it 3 times, but I don't get it. It is a magical experience and leaves a lasting impression. I said a few years ago, the greens feel so hard to the foot, but they hold so well, really amazing. I don't know if I have ever played a golf course where I was initially more comfortable than Holston. #12 is one of my favorite holes anywhere.

Matt Varney

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2008, 09:03:20 PM »
Glenn,

I finally got an invitation to play The Honors for the first time last week and it surpassed my highest expectation level.  I agree it is tough but, not long and I played the Blue Tees with my playing partners and shot 80 (I'm a 10 handicap).  I believe I played well because I had wanted to play the course for so long my focus was just intense during my round to play well.

The golf course, the native grasses, the bunkering and all the rolling property and trees just make The Honors Course an incredible golf experience.  Mr. Lupton did it right the first time and the membership makes sure that the golf course will always stay true to his plan.

Matt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back