News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Mayacama (pics)
« on: May 13, 2008, 12:35:58 PM »

12 green

Clubhouse

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 12:49:45 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Tom Huckaby

Re: Mayacama (pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:52:43 PM »
Hell of a place, isn't it?

But weren't you supposed to be COMPETING?

;D

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:57:55 PM »
Yessir. It's a Tuesday qualifer...

...which of course is today, but I'm still injured and out of commission, which is lame. I played most of the course yesterday but didn't finish and definitely couldn't play my normal game.

But yeah, it's a pretty cool place.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:59:37 PM »
Yessir. It's a Tuesday qualifer...

...which of course is today, but I'm still injured and out of commission, which is lame. I played most of the course yesterday but didn't finish and definitely couldn't play my normal game.

But yeah, it's a pretty cool place.

Bummer! 

Tough course for sure... but it would be nice to be a member there, I think.  I could live spending my free time playing that course and dipping into the wine cellar.

TH

Tim Leahy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:59:53 PM »
I see cart paths, but I thought it was a walking only course?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 01:23:34 PM »
Landing in this thick stuff could be the start of a big number.  I don't care for it.

How many of the bunkers have that much "hair" around them?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 01:32:07 PM »
About a dozen for the entire course. I thought they were a nice try, but maybe not quite right. They looked a bit out of place to me. The playable areas are so perfectly manicured, and the periphery is brown, so bushy green grass didn't quite seem appropriate. Just a minor thing but I agree with you.

BVince

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 01:40:20 PM »
Hole 3 looks like a beast, what is the yardage from the back tee box?
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 01:43:29 PM »
Only 178, but it's tough. There's not much to do besides hit it high and land it on the green. Short's no good, left is a creek, and behind the green is a creek too. There's a big bank on the right but your ball will probably stay up there - it's rough - and you might not keep your next one on the green.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 07:51:01 PM »
I've played here twice, but not in the last 2 years.  The course seems like it has matured nicely.  They moved a lot of dirt which you can see and a few holes like the 17th they had nothing to work with and it shows.  I'm sure Jim Lipe will chime in, he put alot of time and effort effort into this course.  I would give it a 6 on the Doak rating.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 09:34:10 PM »
Did you not photograph any uphill holes or are there none?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 12:08:23 AM »
I thought this course belongs in Jacks top 5 courses with Sebonack, Muirfield Village and The Concession. Jim Lipe should be very proud of the work done on a challenging site.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 01:13:52 AM »
Did you not photograph any uphill holes or are there none?
Cheers

There are.

4 is uphill on the 2nd shot.
7 is slightly uphill on the 2nd shot.
8 is uphill a bit on both shots.
13 and 14 are both a bit uphill.

The course does have a few good climbs up to get to tee boxes but I didn't really notice it much during the round.

John Sheehan

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 03:33:31 AM »
This is one of the better Nicklaus courses I have played.  I think the one of its weaknesses is that it is a heckuva tough course for a poor or inexperienced player.  There are an inordinate number of forced carries (#'s 3,5,6,7,9,10,12,13,15,16,18).  Another (in my own opinion) is that the walk is strenuous to say the least.  The trek uphill from the 12th green to the 13th tee is a cardiac waiting to happen.  The course has always been groomed impeccably, as you would expect; but they tend to keep the fairways somewhat soft - a negative for me.

The 8th hole, a dogleg right par 4 (411,384) is a very good strategic design with a fairway bunker on the inside of the dogleg and an opening on the right side of the green. It has a terrific contoured design element - a slope running on the right side to the opening to the green.  When I first played there, and for quite a few rounds, you could sling a shot into that ridge W-A-Y short of the green and run a ball up and onto the putting surface - a two-tiered green.  Very fun.  The last two times I played there, they had grown the rough on that bank and simply taken that shot out of the bag.  IMHO a terrible maintenance decision.

That third hole previously referenced, the par 3 (178, 157) is probably the most controversial hole among the members I have spoken to.  Most feel it is just too difficult for the average player and a round wrecker. I agree.  The green is up fairly high above the creek and tends to dry out very quickly, making it quite firm most of the time.  Matt Cohn's desription is accurate - there is nowhere to bail - and even a well struck shot can go over the green, and into the hazard, very easily.  Northern California is almost always windy; and the prevailing wind is with the shot and slightly left to right, adding to the difficulty of holding the green. 

Despite all that, I personally very much enjoy playing the course.  It is one of the more strategic Nicklaus designs I have played (a style I tend to love).  For the most part, the fairway bunkering is quite strategically placed and though it never has played truly firm and fast, during the summer months there are some options to employ the ground game (#'s 1,4,6,8,9,11,12,17,18).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back