News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

james soper

bel-air v. lakeside New
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:08:47 PM »
the most recent issue of links magazine compared the two courses and felt bel-air's tight and rolling fairways with quick and sloped greens made it a better course than lakeside's flat and ample fairways, tiny greens and multiple hole locations. since i have never played the either course and have only seen photos of bel-air and the bobby jones instructional films done at lakeside, i would probably choose to play lakeside given the importance of ball placement.
for someone who has played both, does the links magazine description characterize both courses well? if you had your choice, which course would you play?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 03:14:31 PM by james soper »

David Stamm

Re: bel-air v. lakeside
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 02:07:40 PM »
James, I haven't played either, but I'm pretty familiar with the history of both. Keep in mind that Lakeside now is a far cry from the one seen on the Jones films. Mother nature had not been kind to arguably Behr's finest creation and other arch's have been in there and left their mark. Bel Air has had it's share of changes as well, not the least of which was the gutting of some of Thomas' coolest creations by Dick Wilson, namely the Mae West 12th. If pressed, I would rather play Bel Air, but I think seeing both would make me wonder what used to be.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Kavanaugh

Re: bel-air v. lakeside
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
Yard for yard Lakeside is the hardest course I have ever played.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back