News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Fairfax, VA Recommendation?
« on: April 22, 2008, 12:03:51 PM »
I might have time for quick afternoon round nearby.  Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jerry Kluger

Re: Fairfax, VA Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:24:43 PM »
Westfields is the best in Fairfax County of the public venues.  If you're near the beltway and want to come over the Montgomery County let me know - maybe I can join you.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »
Michael,

I've not played Westfields, but just this past week I played Laurel Hill and really enjoyed it a great deal.

Tim Taylor

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 12:38:21 PM »
Agree that Westfields is the best of the public courses.

Reston National is a decent track (over priced) but very convenient to Dulles Airport if that matters.

Fairfax is a big county. Where are you? That will help pinpoint a course you can get to easily.

Tim

CJ Carder

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »
Gotta think Westfields would be a top option.  Have not played Laurel Hill but have heard some really nice things about it.

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:08:02 PM »
Michael --

It definitely depends where you are in Fairfax County and how much time you will have.  Personally, I'd stay away from Reston National -- overpriced and typically a very slow pace of play.  Herndon Centennial is a cheaper option near by that you may enjoy.

Laurel Hill and Westfields are both very good golf courses; Westfields is more walkable, though I've never seen anyone walk it.  Laurel Hill has become my favorite area course, it has some unique holes and is a good challenge; it's built on the grounds of the former federal Lorton prison. Westfields is solid, if a bit more conventional.

Two additional recommendations for you:

1. Twin Lakes (down the street from Westfields) is a 36-hole muni, the Oaks is a really strong track, very walkable and much cheaper than the other courses named so far.

2. If you had more time, I'd send you out to Shenandoah Valley Golf Club in Front Royal, about an hour or so drive (depending on where you are).  Best value in the DC area.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 01:44:31 PM »
Bogey, call me at 850-293-6730.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 06:44:26 PM »
There's Westwood in Vienna which is pretty much the heart of Fairfax County. I don't know how restrictive the guest policy is.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 10:33:09 PM »
How about Rasberry Falls in Leesburg?  Too far out?  I played there almost ten years ago and liked it...

WW

Lester George

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 11:33:18 PM »
I did the original routings for Westfields and remeber the site to be interesting.  I hope they were compelled to keep the Civil War breastworks.  I used them in the routing, the original owners thought they were a nuisance.

Lester

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 10:36:59 AM »
Stonewall in Gainesville is a nice course not too far from Fairfax, it sits adjacent to the Robert Trent Jones course which hosted the President's Cup a few years back. 

Cory Lewis

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 12:46:08 PM »
I recently played Westfields and Laurel Hill on the same day and enjoyed Laurel Hill much more.  Laurel Hill would be my recommendation for best public golf anywhere in Northern Virginia.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 03:46:30 AM »
I spose by default I would recommend Westfields.  I haven't seen anything better in the area, but I am not itching to get back.  The best stretch of golf I have seen in the area is the back 9 of Rasberry Falls, but the front 9 falls well short of memorable.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

J Sadowsky

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
I prefer both Laurel Hill and Stonewall to Westfields, fwiw.

Westfields is nice though.   All 3 provide carts for no additional charge, but I think all 3 are reasonably walkable.

PS - the Fairfax munis - Twin Lakes Oaks and Lakes courses - are decent, particularly the Oaks, if you want to save some money and play with the riffraff :).

CJ Carder

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 07:30:44 PM »
I prefer both Laurel Hill and Stonewall to Westfields, fwiw.

Westfields is nice though.   All 3 provide carts for no additional charge, but I think all 3 are reasonably walkable.

PS - the Fairfax munis - Twin Lakes Oaks and Lakes courses - are decent, particularly the Oaks, if you want to save some money and play with the riffraff :).

I would like Stonewall more if I wasn't worried about hitting it into someone's backyard every shot.  Part of the charm of Westfields is its removal from civilization in an area of the country where it's difficult to do so.   Still, Stonewall is a strong course if you just don't look at the houses.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 07:46:24 PM »
stonewall and westfields are both nice options.

bull run golf club and raspberry falls are nice but a little further drive.

Paul Jones

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 01:34:24 PM »
I really liked Laurel Hills.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back