News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Attributes of the West over the East at Merion?
« on: April 03, 2003, 05:58:26 AM »
Is the West course better than the East course at Merion? No but heck, Shinnecock's not either  :D so how could the West course be?

Still, the West does possesses some of the better type holes within the 36. For instance,

1. Drivable two shotter - 8 West over 10 East, where both a 2 or a 7 is more likely.
2. Downhill one shotter - 4 West over 9 East, where there are several ways to play the approach and where judgement of distance is all the harder.
3. Short one shotter - 6 West over 13 East, where the domed putting surface is just as cool as the creek (ask B. Jones who putted off it).

Other features that the West has over the East are more fallaway greens (1, 4, etc.) and the single
greatest interior contour on any of the 36 putting surfaces can be found within 9 green West.

Plus, when the West course opened in 1914, it was bunkerless and there is no doubt that Wilson was particularly focused on maximizing the ground contours to the course's advantage. For instance, in terms of hitting approach shots from awkward stances, fading a shot into the small 11th green West with the ball above your feet in the fairway is no mean feat.

Finally, does the lack of bunkering (i.e. lack of framing) on the West contribute to make judgement of distance harder than on the East? To a large extent, the white faces on the East guide the golfer's decision making but the golfer doesn't get quite the same help on the West.  This helps make some of the ground level approach shots particularly tough to judge on the West (e.g. the 9th and 15th), it seems to me.

What are some of the other design attributes of the West Course, even relative to the mighty East? More ground game options? Yes, like seeing a running fade take off across the left to right slope at the 14th.

What else?

Cheers,

PS I don't know what started this line of reasoning other than unlike the Golf Digest rankings, this web site can and should highlight all the really neat courses that are full of interesting features/shots/strategy, even (or especially!) if they are under 6,000 yards in length ala the West course.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Chris_Clouser

Re: Attributes of the West over the East at Merion
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2003, 06:08:41 AM »
Ran,

Not knowing much about the West course at all, other than where it is located.  I am really interested in hearing more about the course.

ChipOat

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2003, 07:37:18 AM »
Ran:

Have meetings but will respond.

A warning though - you about said it all.  Especially in regards to the ground game.

What an amazingly quick study you are.

Perhaps Ed and Dave will think twice about staying at the bar when you're that focused.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2003, 09:34:57 AM »
Plus, when the West course opened in 1914, it was bunkerless and there is no doubt that Wilson was particularly focused on maximizing the ground contours to the course's advantage.

Ran,

You sucked me in with this one. I recently nominated The West on Tom Paul's thread on for Least Changes, so I was surprised to hear it opened bunkerless. Was it an ongoing type of addition or did they come in years later ? Kind of an interesting way to build a course, focus on the land/ground game, see how people play it and then add in the bunkers.

Anyway, I would add the following to your points:

* West 6, 7 and 8 (Par 3, 4, 4) might be the best "very short" hole stretch that I have played in golf. It would be possible for a very good player to go (2, 3, 2) or (7, 6, 7). Out-of bounds, creeks, ponds, hillside, sand, it is all there on that stretch. I know I have told the story of how my buddy had a 12 on # 6 and lost the Junior Club Championship.

* 6 West is the most underated short 3 that I know of, so I agree with your pick of West 6 over East 13.

* I disagree with your pick of West 8 over East 10. You could proably make a higher number on West 8, but that tee shot on 10 coming out of the woods and after the climb is one of my favorities. The bunkering and green positioning on 10 are also one of my favorites.

* West # 5, a Par 4, is the closest thing (blindish tee shot, severe uphill and sidehill lies) that I have seen to Yale #18. If he kept it going onto #6, you would have the same downhill green shot with the added creeks. I guess Wilson was a nicer guy as most days neither one is a good thing on my scorecard.

* Finally for the true GCA purist, the clubhouse on The West is perfect compared to that monsterous clubhouse down Ardmore Avenue. It reminds me of Jim Kennedy's clubhouse up at Hotchkiss School Golf Course
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:04 PM by -1 »

Dave_Miller

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 09:49:03 AM »

Perhaps Ed and Dave will think twice about staying at the bar when you're that focused.

Chip:
Having had the pleasure of seeing the west course numerous times growing up the decision to stay in the bar, after walking the East in 106 degree heat with 90+% humidity, was not only a very judicious decision but a wise one.  Even if Ran was that focused.
But you said it Ran is a very quick study.  Number 4 on the West is one of the great relatively unknown Par 3's or as Ran says a one-shotter.  He picked up on that very quickly.
Only wish Ran would be as quick with the review he promised on Aronimink.
Best,
Dave

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 10:41:50 AM »
The wonderful thing about Merion West is its so different from Merion East and as such suits the needs of the general membership so well. Most of the West's holes are so quirky really and as such compensate terrifically for the real lack of length on the course. They've had a few state tournaments on the West and it's amazingly hard to score on for a course under 6,000 yds.

The stretch of 6-8 (quirky corner) three holes that total a bit over 600 yds could never possibly be done today--no way anyone would be allowed to route or think to route three holes in a topographical section like that. I never heard that all the bunkering of the West was added later although some of the course's bunkering was added or altered by the Valentines apparently. If you want to see some really unique and quirky bunkering that works amazingly well don't miss the green-side bunkering on #13 (the work of the Valentine's I'm told).

As fun as many of the West's holes can be I'm not sure I would ever agree they're better than the East's--a course I believe is pretty unique in that all and all it really does have 18 really good golf holes--not exactly the case with the West.

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 11:07:30 AM »
According to Richie Valentine, it was he that built the mounds and bunkers around the 13th green.  Some of the impetus for this was to protect the shelter immediately behind the hole.  However there is quite a lot going on at the front of the green as well.  I like the work that Richie did there quite a bit and the course is a lot of fun, it'd be great to play with your kids.  Interesting to note that both Richie and independently Flynn's daughter, Connie Lagerman, said that it was Flynn that designed the West course.  Information that Tom Paul and I have been gathering would seem to show that Wilson and Flynn had some kind of working relationship (design and agronomic) for quite a bit longer than thought; it may well be that they assisted each other on a number of courses attributed to one of them.  For instance, it would appear, according to Princeton University records, that at the time of his death, Wilson was working with Flynn at Marble Hall, now known as Green Valley.  Last time Tom Paul and I got together with Richie I sensed that he was less sure of the sole Flynn attribution for the West course.  What we do know is that the only drawings of Merion are by Flynn.  There are many beautiful drawings of the East course with many changes , the one hole drawing that we've found to date of the West is also by Flynn in the same style.  No dates on any of the drawings, unfortunately.

ChipOat

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2003, 05:27:55 AM »
Ran et al:

1) #5 doesn't get it's due as one of the best holes on either course because the trees on the right had grown out since 1914 and made the "dangerous" side of the fairway (near the baranca and with the best approach angle) an impossible place to then hit to the green.  Honestly - the left rough was a MUCH better place to be.  Talk about Stupid Trees!

That's all changed as the trees have been (mostly) cut back and the hole can re-claim its place as a classic Wilson/Flynn(?)
strategic design and wonderful execution.

2) #10 on the West is the closest thing Merion (and most other places) has to Pine Valley #8 - the mega-dangerous short par 4 with a really tiny green.  While the drive has little strategy other than to lay up with an iron to stay on the flat spot at the top of the hill, you'd BETTER hit the green on your approach and you REALLY don't want to be long.  The slope of that green from back-to-front is scary - more than one pitch from there has ended up in the creek in front.

More later.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2003, 06:03:04 AM »
Chip:

We were out looking at Merion West's #5 the other day. I'm not sure I'd say that the right side is the best way to approach that green. One may get more distance down the right side of the hole but the green is sort of set-up to come in from the left side just as well. An approach from the left may be a little longer (because of the slope and contour of the hillside on the drive) but it's higher and more directly into the set-up of that green from the left. Logically one would like to see more fairway out on the left but obviously some might worry about the tee on #15 if there was much more fairway on the left on #5.

But if you ask me the best way one should play #5, I doubt there is one best way--the hole might be considered sort of a golfer's choice with various interesting risk/reward ramifications right along from drive to approach.

PS;

Matter of fact #5 green is set-up to come in from the left well enough where various players in tournaments have been known to play from #15 tee directly to #5 green, go to #5 green, realize their mistake and have to come back to #15 tee and play to the correct green!

ChipOat

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2003, 08:11:57 AM »
Tom Paul:

That green slopes from LR towards RF and, thus, is sloping slightly away from the player an a left side approach.  Even a draw is easier to hold from the right side - let alone a fade or "straight ball".

Also, since when do the rules of golf permit "do overs" in tournament competition?  I trust you've never signed any fellow-competitors' scorecard that did what you describe.

ChipOat

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2003, 05:25:32 AM »
Here's more.

2nd hole also a classic Wilson/Flynn strategic hole.  Par 5 where the safe play down the left side leaves much harder approach angles than goin down the riskier right side along the OB.  This is a hole where adding the greenside bunker made all the difference in the world re: safe/risky routes to the green vs. the difficulty of approach.

11th hole is another excellent strategic hole.  Dogleg left where the shorter approach is a much more difficult angle and requires the aerial game.  Longer approach up the "safer" right side gives a better angle and the option of ground or aerial shot.

Richie Valentine did, in fact, rework the green complex on #13.  The look has never been quite right IMO but between that effort (late 70's?) and the new tee boxes adding 50-80 yards, the hole is definitely more challenging.  A little less exciting though as it used to be driveable during the summer when the fairways were baked hard.

#18 is a superb "precision" shortish par 4 where the ground game is almost a necessity for a front pin.  The upper tier of that green is death unless the pin's back there.  Over the green??  Fuhgetabowtit!  Better miss in the bunkers left or right than long.

In general Merion West "feels" and plays more like a parkland Brora (if that makes any sense) or some of the other really quaint, but wonderful, UK courses, and less like a miniature East Course.  Because the greens are (mostly) so small and the watering is less intense, the ground game is really preferable on #'s 1,2,4,8,9,11,14,15 and 18.  Precision aerial works/required on #'s 6,7,10,11,12,16,17,18.  Also, being above the hole on the West is often times more problematic than anywhere on the East except #12 and parts of #15.

In short, the West Course is a marvelous old fashioned vestige of a by-gone era in design, strategy and maintenance meld.  Perhaps most impressive is that, when one considers the limited space that Wilson/Flynn had to work with (less than 100 acres), the routing and quality of hole design is positively brilliant.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Attributes of the West over the East at Merion?
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 09:40:04 PM »
I love Ran's quote from the initial posting:  "...this web site can and should highlight all the really neat courses that are full of interesting features/shots/strategy, even (or especially!) if they are under 6,000 yards in length ala the West course."

If ever there was a course that fit that definition, it's Merion West.

Art Roselle

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 10:12:26 PM »
Tomorrow is the five year anniversary of Ran's initial post on this thread.  Time flies!

Tony Petersen

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 10:40:06 PM »
5 years... that's very cool.

BTW... great review on the West. Sounds like the perfect ying to the East's yang ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

JESII

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 08:04:49 PM »
1. Drivable two shotter - 8 West over 10 East, where both a 2 or a 7 is more likely.

While I disagree with each of your attributes to the West over the East, this byline was interesting because the last time I played the West I made a 10 on #8...I hit the ball eight times and it hit me once...

I think the only thing the West really has over the East is the potential to surprise an unsuspecting player by being a truly good, fun golf course...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 08:44:54 PM »
But don't you think it'd be a fantastic course to play as a member everyday because of its quality and fun factor?

JESII

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »
No question...it is a really cool course.

But it's got nothing on the East...

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 10:02:29 PM »
Frankly, to even ask the question of the attributes of the West over the East at Merion is a bullshit question. Frick and Frack are vastly different for a reason. Merion G.C. is lucky to have both and to have designed and and built them as different at they did.

wsmorrison

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 08:09:33 AM »
I think the West Course was designed to be a challenging course and in its earliest days it was.  The par for the East Course at the time of the 1916 Amateur was 73 and par for the West Course has always been 70.  Against par, the West Course was deemed the equal of the East.  The selection of the East Course for the match play portion of the 1916 Am was not a foregone conclusion.  Fortunately for the membership, technology has made the two courses far different in terms of difficulty for better players, though even a player of Jim Sullivan's skill level can score a 10 on a sub 250-yard par 4.  Yet the what the West Course lacks in length, it makes up for in interest and other challenges besides distance demands.  The West Course demonstrates how a short course can be a challenging course to most golfers and an enjoyable one for all.  Merion West is a wonderful counterpoint to the East and a throwback to an early era of golf design.  It is the perfect compliment course for a family club such as Merion enjoyed by children, women, seniors and as a change of pace to the East Course to the men.  It is a pleasant surprise to guests as a second 18 following the East or for guests that must play the West when the East is closed.  The West Course is open 365 days a year weather permitting.

Jeff Silverman (Agman) wrote a nice piece in the recent Travel and Leisure Golf about moving up to the forward tees when he was recovering from hip replacement surgery and finding it a fun experience even after recovery.  Merion West at 5989 yards from the back tees (not quite the tippy tips) offers a nice alternative to moving up to the forward tees on the East Course, something you wouldn't catch too many (any?) male members doing.

While I doubt it would ever happen, Merion West should be a model for some clubs to consider.    I firmly believe that if Merion West were the only course a club had, it would be a success.  A club that would consider such a model would benefit from lower land acquisition costs, reduced maintenance costs and a membership that would be provided enjoyable challenges with agreeable pace of play.  The other Merion course has a lot going for it on many levels yet is overshadowed by its sister course.  Many valuable lessons can be learned by its example.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 08:18:03 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 08:16:44 AM »
Great point, Wayne...  It's the perfect compliment course to East.

Does any other multi-course club have the same diversity?

wsmorrison

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 08:26:52 AM »
Courtesy of the Craig Disher Collection, Merion West 1937.  The 18th green is at the middle right of the photograph just to the left of the white area (parking lot).  The 1st tee is just to the right and north of the 18th green.  The overall slope of the property is right to left.  Notice the limited use of bunkering.

mike_malone

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 09:17:51 AM »
 Merion West is the third best course in Delaware County. That means Merion GC has 2 in the top 5 , not bad!!!
AKA Mayday

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 09:34:18 AM »
Wayne:

Although I have never seen it mentioned in any documentation the club has or we have, I wonder if the fact that Merion built the West course a couple of years after the East allowed Wilson/Flynn et al to ratchet up the difficulty of the East a few years after the West was done. In other words, I wonder if that was part of their reasoning with the East course or if they would've gotten into to the same kind of redesign phase they did on the East from 1916 on into the early 1930s if not for the fact they had the West course.

wsmorrison

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 09:50:04 AM »
Mike,

You should present your honest Best of Delaware County Golf Courses list and explain to us in detail why Merion East barely makes the list.  Why you do not hold that course in high regard is a subject worth exploring.  Perhaps you could co-author it with Chip Gaskins  ;)  I for one would welcome an opportunity to understand the inner workings of that mysterious mind of yours  :o

Willie_Dow

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 04:55:19 AM »
Ran - sorry to have missed making a comment here, but closing down our place in Vero and working our way north has kept my computer time down somewhat.

I think the West is best summed up by reading Jones comments in the book "Down the Fairway" chapter four.  His debut in the national championship in 1916 with the likes of Bob Gardner, then amateur champion, and Chick Evans who had won the open championship.  The qualifying rounds was divided into sections with the morning round on the East Course, the other on the West Course with both sections changing for the second round.

There must have been numerous attributes for the West Course, for the committee to chose this format.

By the way, could you get that tape to A Parker Hall ? (295-6231)

Willie

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back