News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

HS Colt of East Hendred
« on: March 30, 2008, 07:40:32 AM »
Thanks to Ran for overcoming software problems and getting my piece up in the IMO section.  Also big thanks to FBD who first brought our attention to the fact that a nonagenarian who worked for Colt is still alive.

Since writing this I've recently heard that Mrs Goddard is alive and well, even if the past winter was quite a strain on her.  The piece is light on Architectural insights but attempts to show another side of Colt.  In some portraits he can come across as a little aloof and  a strict disciplinarian; but as this piece shows in his home village he is remembered with great affection.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinionmuldoon.html
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jeff_Mingay

Re: HS Colt of East Hendred
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 09:31:15 AM »
Very interesting, Tony. Thanks for this.
jeffmingay.com

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 12:48:05 PM »
Thanks for the diligence, Tony.

Regarding the home purchase, one possibility is he purchased it using his fee from building the Eden Course, plus perhaps fees earned from consulting to Ganton, and not simply on the basis of future income.

Did Colt come from money? What college at Oxford did he attend?

It must've been very difficult for his wife to marry out of the faith; the Oxford connection and apparent strength of his career might have tipped the balance.

Tony, your piece helps draw the contrast to MacKenzie in bolder lines. Colt retreats to his sylvan idyll as Mac casts himself adrift....

Mark

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 03:16:26 PM »
Mark, Colt was born in Highgate and his father (G N Colt) was a Barrister at Lincolns Inn.  He attended Clare College.  It is fair to speculate that the only time he was ever hungry was when his wife was in control of the purse strings. ;)

Interesting point re MacKenzie who was only one year younger but an entirely different character.  However he had "queered his patch" when he divorced and was therefore less likely to settle close to home?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 04:44:14 PM »
Hurrah!
The Muldoon epic has finally landed.
Well done, Tony. Very nice job.
What never fails to make an impression on me is how 'normal' our Heroes actually are/were. The pics of HSC with the boys of the Cricket and Bowls Teams are splendid.
Thanks also to all those involved from East Hendred - especially Stan. And of course to Mrs Goddard herself.
Wonderful stuff.
Please allow me to buy you a beer at BUDA!!

cheers,
MB.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 05:52:40 PM »

cheers,
MB.

Shaken and stirred, I presume?

Looking forward to meeting you too, Martin.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 06:35:21 PM »
Nice read Tony.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 06:51:02 PM »

cheers,
MB.

Shaken and stirred, I presume?

Shaken, NOT stirred I believe.

B, James B  :D
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 12:14:02 PM »
An excellent and informative piece Tony.

I always find it interesting from an historical perspective to learn more about an individuals background as it often gives you a better understanding of how their lives had developed.  Doak's biography of MacKenzie is a good example of this.

2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back