News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: CC of York: Ross & Flynn
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 03:39:12 PM »
Scott:

I'm not directing what I said above at you, just those on here who have very little experience with either topo maps or on-site analysis pre-design and construction. Maybe some on here are off-the-charts with spatial sense or some immediate knack for completely understanding how a topo matches ground without any experience. But for the rest, they shouldn't feel bad because I think I can virtually prove that George Crump had very little idea what he was doing with his topo map a number of months into his Pine Valley. I think he had a very good idea what he was trying to accomplish on the ground but he did have a hard time figuring out where what he was doing on the ground was exactly on his topo map, and I think that's completely explained by that interesting note he put on top of his first topo map effort. ;)

Sure, I'd enjoy watching you work on a routing or design in some office with just a topo map, but again, what you were doing wouldn't mean much to me until we took what you were doing with the topo out on the site!  ;)

I'm sure topo map talent for architects is great but I feel if some architect doesn't have that it may not mean much if he really knows what he's doing on the ground.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 03:44:40 PM by TEPaul »

Scott Witter

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 04:04:30 PM »
Tom:

Not to worry...I know what you meant, but you gotta let a guy have just a little fun once in a while right? ;D

Your last point applies to many talented people as well and I am glad you said it.  The topo map is just a good place to start, often times a puzzle pallette, but to me while looking at a topo map I am thinking immediately about 3D conditions, in the general sense of course, but they are no less key to my understand and initial generation of ideas for a routing and how some holes might play and feel.  From there, those rough ideas must be tested on the site to explore their real potential and to find those hidden cool features that Mother Nature provided, but didn't show in suffucient detail on the map and then see if they fit in the routing or how the routing must be adjusted to incorporate them.  Hey, either way, I think it would be fun just to take a walk with a flask in hand and act like I know what I/m doing ::)

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »
Scott:

I have no idea who's really good with a topo map and who isn't. I'm quite sure Tom Doak is from the things I've heard. I know Gil Hanse is and I'm certain Paul Cowley is really good at it with what I've seen and knowing how "visual" he is. I've heard Pete Dye never had much use for them and most of the time I've spent on sites with Bill Coore he didn't seem particularly interested in the topo.

(That was my first post with a laptop. You guys are really in trouble now).   :P

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back