News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Neveux

Re: What about great logos
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 08:22:27 PM »
I'll nomintate Inverness.  I'm sure what the significance is, please do tell if you know. 

Gerry B

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 09:53:08 PM »
chicago's is great but the slogan "Far and Sure" originated at Muirfield I believe and is also used at Hoylake

Merion's current logog  might be the best on the planet -was done around 1971 I believe - Wayne Morrison can confirm

Myopia's is great but the fox might have originated at Toronto Hunt Club -founded in 1843

As mentioned -Sleepy Hollow's headless horsemen is a beauty

Like the Oakmont and TCC squirrel logos  equally

other faves are :

the Goat from Lahinch - this is no goat track

The Dutch tiles from NGLA

The bell from Atlantic city

Pasatiempo

Philly Cricket Club

Philly Country Club - they weren't "horsing" around when they came up with their logo

The Creek Club Creek Bird

Indian Creek's Indian carving  which looks like a penguin to me

The Maidstone whale logo

Yale's Eli the dog biting a golf club

The Salem Witch

Chip: The milk bottle is McCarthur Farms

John Moore II

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »
I like the Tobacco Road logo myself. Very simple and conveys the rugged, natural ideals of the course.

Brad Tufts

Re: What about gteat logos
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 09:20:45 AM »
Tough to beat Myopia's fox and horn.

Lovingly referred to in-house as the "rat and trumpet..."

Also, I thought that Taconic's was the round purple seal that says "Taconic Golf Club," although maybe it should be the "We Play Golf Here" sign that's posted on the pro shop.  I've always been uncomfortable with the Purple Cows thing, it just seems too stupid. 

Of you can't beat a Middlebury Panther, especially when your league is filled with Purple Cows, White Mules, Camels, Jumbos, Bantams and Lord Jeffs among others...but I digress...

I'm a big fan of ships like Tedesco and Essex County.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 09:29:11 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

wsmorrison

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 09:47:20 AM »
Gerry,

Merion's current logo was designed for the 1971 US Open by then golf professional, Bill Kittleman, now Professional Emeritus and a golf architect working with Gil Hanse.

The original logo for the Merion Cricket Club dates to the club's founding in 1865

When the Golf Club split from the Cricket Club (December 7, 1941--they came out of the meeting to learn of the tragedy at Pearl Harbor) the logo was remodeled

Sean Leary

Re: What about gteat logos
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 11:04:26 AM »
Tough to beat Myopia's fox and horn.

Of you can't beat a Middlebury Panther, especially when your league is filled with Purple Cows, White Mules, Camels, Jumbos, Bantams and Lord Jeffs among others...but I digress...

unless you are a Bowdoin Polar Bear ;)

Brad Tufts

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 02:08:20 PM »
I excepted the Polar Bear as it is a more normal ferocious species...also left out Continentals, Cardinals and whatever Bates is (Bobcats?)

But, I understand your zing. 

The yearly Maine jaunt to Colby and Bowdoin has killed many a Midd hockey team's mid-season...

Now back to the logos!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tony Petersen

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 10:25:33 PM »
For some reason I love the Desert Forest logo... Reminds me of high school computer classes & Microsoft Works  ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back