News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Federman

Re: Ballybunion Cashen - some vignettes
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 12:19:33 PM »
As I said in my first post, I would rather play the Old twice - especially because the first time I was in such awe of the place - second time around would have been great - we were able to play twice at Lahinch and would have preferred to do the same at Ballybunion Old- but getting one time is hard enough at Old, getting a second for the same or the next day I understand is nearly impossible.

One of the main complaints about the Cashen was from our longest hitter that the fairways ran out or got pinched at crazy spots- as a shorter hitter, that did not present a problem for me.  It is quirky and I agree with a lot of the comments, but the fact remains, I enjoyed it.

Ash Towe

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 01:18:47 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

If it is possible the 2 rounds on the Old would be my choice. 

Unfortunately it will be the middle of 2009 before I can get there.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 07:52:10 PM »
Ballybunion New/Cashen was panned from opening day by just about everyone; it seemed that the only defender of the course was Peter Dobereiner. 

To suggest this course got or gets a free pass because it's in Ireland is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:54:26 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 08:36:52 PM »
Paul Turner:

You are absolutely right. The Cashen hardly got a free pass when the course opened. Many locals seriously disliked it, in part because it was awfully difficult to walk. The course also suffered from grow in problems that influenced perceptions. Then, too, the Cashen proved to be far more difficult than the Old Course.

It has been in recent years that the Cashen has become far more popular with locals.

Tim Weiman

Scott Whitley

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2008, 11:08:20 AM »
Here's what RT Jones had to say about the site for Cashen:

"This God given piece of land, with its tumbling undulating free flowing rhythm of line is beauty beyond description - a piece of land with the ocean on one side of it, river on the other...There are no weak holes on the course.  Each is a spectacular gem."

Neil Regan

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 12:43:19 AM »
Another one, from '02  ;)

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back