News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Hyslop

Re:Best 9 with 3+ par 3s.
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 06:31:45 AM »
 I sumbit the returning 9 holes at Highland Links, Cape Breton.
 As you head for home on this Stanley Thompson masterpiece you start with the 145 yd 10th hole named Cuddy's Legs.

http://www.highlandslinksgolf.com/hole10.html

Then comes the 12th hole named"Cleugh" which is a 240yd test involving a significant carry over water. Then there is the fantastic walk along the Clyburn to the 13th tee which rivals any walk in golf.

http://www.highlandslinksgolf.com/hole12.html

The final par 3 on the returning nine is #17 which is a 190 yd test on a hole named Dowie Den.

http://www.highlandslinksgolf.com/hole17.html

A great variety of par 3s on a great stretch of finishing holes on a great golf course. Check out the "Courses By Country" section of this website.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »
The front nines at Tobacco Road and Lakota Canyon Ranch qualify by my reckoning. Tot Hill Farm has 3 VERY challenging par 3s on the back side.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

tlavin

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 03:56:03 PM »
Pac Dunes, in a walk...

J Sadowsky

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 04:14:58 PM »
It's not Pac Dunes, but no votes for the front 9 of Rustic Canyon?  Are you sure this is GCA? :)

The only problem is that the 4th and 6th are two of the weaker holes at RC, although with very interesting greens complexes.

But when the wind is blowing, that 3rd hole is the best 330 yard par 3 hole on the planet :).

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 04:39:41 PM »
The back 9 at Blackstone in Arizona has 3 par 3s and 3 par 5s - I don't know of another course which has that.  One par 3 has a wide green, another has a T shaped green and the third is diagonal.  
The par 5s are also very different with one having a blind shot into the green if going for it in 2,  another is straight, and another has a risk/reward feature over a lake and then uphill to the green.  The par 4s include a fairway with random pot bunkers, a forced carry second shot over a waste area and a driveable par 4.  The course is beautifully conditioned and a whole bunch of fun to play.  

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 06:44:01 PM »
I think the original question was which 9 has the best set of 3 par 3's or more.  While many of these "qualify" to be in this discussion, I haven't personally seen anything in the same class as the 4 par 3's on the back 9 of Pac Dunes. If you tried to find a red-headed step child in the bunch, one could argue 10, and its still a fantastic golf hole.

Gerry B

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 10:45:41 PM »
i would also add the 10th,12th and 17th at Friars Head

Andy Troeger

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 08:42:08 AM »
The back 9 at Blackstone in Arizona has 3 par 3s and 3 par 5s - I don't know of another course which has that.  One par 3 has a wide green, another has a T shaped green and the third is diagonal.  
The par 5s are also very different with one having a blind shot into the green if going for it in 2,  another is straight, and another has a risk/reward feature over a lake and then uphill to the green.  The par 4s include a fairway with random pot bunkers, a forced carry second shot over a waste area and a driveable par 4.  The course is beautifully conditioned and a whole bunch of fun to play.  

The 3-3-3 feature seems to be becoming more popular on one nine or the other. Desert Highlands has that routing on the back nine finishing 3-3-5-5. It may be a Jim Engh favorite too as Lakota Canyon's front and Pradera's back nines have that feature as well.

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 09:10:57 AM »
Springbrook, just south of Morristown, NJ has the following par 3's

# 9, # 10, # 11 and # 14.

And, they're all good holes, as is # 2.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2008, 12:36:11 AM »
How bout Sherwood CC.  The front nine (3, 6, 8) is pretty dang nice.  I'm playing it and Rustic Canyon next week; those should be as different of two courses as you can play in a day.

Matt Waterbury

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 05:02:33 PM »
I'd throw the front nine at Sutton Bay out there - a nice blend of three par 5's to offset the three par 3's, good variety in the one-shoters, and everything feels and plays unforced with the land shapes and the prevailing wind.

And given the out-and-back routing, you hardly notice that the ninth green is in a different zip code than the clubhouse.  ;)

mjw

ChipOat

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2008, 11:21:05 AM »
I know this isn't exactly the point of the thread, BUT:

The best collection of par 3's on this planet Earth is the 10 hole Short Course at Pine Valley.

TEPaul

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2008, 04:07:24 PM »
CHIP OAT!?!?

As I live and breath!!

Nice to see you on here. Did you escape for the day from house arrest??

Furthermore, you must be pretty danged long if you think all ten holes on the Short Course at Pine Valley are par 3s! They aren't all par 3s. Only 12 of the 10 are par 3s.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 04:11:38 PM by TEPaul »

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 04:28:25 PM »
The three threes at the 9-hole Marion (Mass.) Golf Course are all wonderful and all blind.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back