News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Askernish's Runway
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:54:45 PM »
Was catching up on some golf reading at http://www.bigga.org.uk/magazine/back-issues/

And I found an enjoyable read about Askernish from November:
http://www.bigga.org.uk/magazine/back-issues/11-2007/2773/a-hebridean-task.html

One area with which Gordon and Martin had to work around was the RAF airfield which was cut out of the course in the 1930s, flattening part of the existing course.

“We actually decided to stick to the policy of working only on the land Old Tom had used so we have actually incorporated the runway into the 6th fairway – we’ve made a feature of it. We thought that would be the fairest way to combine everything,” explained Gordon.
[/i]

How do you make a feature of a runway and make it fair ?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 10:03:46 PM by Brian_Ewen »

David_Elvins

Re:Askernish's Runway
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:18:04 PM »
Brian

My take would be that he has used the word "fair" to mean balance the conflicting guidelines of the project, not in the sense of a "fair test of golf".

BTW, Thanks for the link.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jason Hines

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:25:16 PM »
Hi Brian,

Have you seen any photos lately of the progress being made?  I attempted to email Gordon Irvine's address at the end of the BIGGA article, but the note was returned as permanently undeliverable.  This project has always intrigued me and would love to visit sometime in the future.

Jason
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:37:58 PM by Jason_Hines »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 01:29:04 AM »
Jason you could ask Alistair Beggs for it via an IM as he's an infrequent poster on here.  He might give you an update on what he found.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 08:14:53 AM »
I mentioned Askernish in my article on the Early Designers, if you want to test yourself see their web site www.askernishgolfclub.com .

Askernish is going to be a very special course. It will become a must to play, a pilgrimage for the real golfer. Honest Golf on a links course as it was played in the early days with the gutta percha ball and Hickory clubs – perfection.

Askernish Life Memberships are still available for those who visit Scotland on a regular basis.

Ralph Thompson, Gordon Irvine, Martin Ebert, their very Special Team and willing volunteers, all deserve out praise and applause for a magnificent effort in restoring Askernish 18 holes for the Golfing World to enjoy.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:19:42 AM »
Jason - IM me your email address and I will pass it onto Gordon.

Mark
Cave Nil Vino

Chris Haspell

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 11:37:37 AM »
Hi Mark, Having had the pleasure and honour of being involved at Askernish from early on ,I can only say it will be a must play, the opening is planned for 22nd of August this year , Gordon has been working hard with Martin and Ralph along with some very committed volunteers , when is the last time that happened on a golf project?

The course will be spectacular and very man against nature ,i for one am looking forward to the opening, the website is now updated so google askernish, there are lots of articles written about it,

Happy reading Chris

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 10:37:26 PM »
Jason you could ask Alistair Beggs for it via an IM as he's an infrequent poster on here.  He might give you an update on what he found.

I hope Mr Beggs see's this thread , I would love to know how a runway fits in as a feature .

Melvyn , any idea ?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 03:46:18 AM »
Brian

Sorry, can’t answer that one.

Having said that Old Tom liked to build some of his courses close to a railway station to encourage visitors with direct access to the golf course, perhaps this is Gordon’s modern interpretation of Old Tom’s design. A real ‘Fly and Drive’ feature!!  ;)

James Bennett

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 07:25:55 PM »
I recall that there was a 'bush' course in far NW Australia (in mining country) where the airstrip doubled as a fairway.  It was either a par 6 or a par 7! My memory suggests something like 700 yards or so.  

I also recall that Turnberry's fairways were adapted and used as runways during WWII.  Not sure how they play or 'land' these days though.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 10:47:42 PM »
I am just presuming we are talking about a tarmac runway here !

James , pretty sure Turnberry's runway is still there . Well it was when the Arran was there , as we used it to walk back to the clubhouse on bluidy nasty day .

James Bennett

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 01:29:55 AM »
Ah, tarmac.  That would be different.  Firm and fast at its most extreme.  That would make baked clay look quite slow by comparison.

James
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Chris Haspell

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 03:10:26 AM »
The Runway was put in to take B17s on there there first stop over the atlantic , there is a tribute to those guys in the airport at Benbecula , Gordon felt that this was an integral part of the courses history , its only grass grazed by sheep now ,therefore it was kept, it does not however affect the green site as the runway is East/West and the course is North/South.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back