News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Aspects of Golf Course Architecture II
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:59:47 PM »
    Grant Books is publishing and taking orders for a a new limited edition book entitled "Aspects of Golf Course Architecture II 1925-1971" assembled and annotated by Fred Hawtree with contributions by Dr Martin Hawtree and  J Hamilton Stutt .
    Further information about the book and an order form can be found at the next entry, by Lloyd Cole. My link wasn;t workable for all.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:16:50 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Lloyd_Cole

Re:Aspects of Golf Course Architecture II
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:09:31 PM »
I'm afraid the link above doesn't work for non aol folk. I can't speak for aol users...

This link will take you to the Grant Books page. I suspect it will only work this month as it is the book of the month.

http://www.grantbooks.co.uk/beta/shop/bkmonth.php

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 04:15:21 PM »
Lloyd,
Thanks for providing a better link. The limited edition (600)is about $80. The Woodstock edition (75) is about $275.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 01:58:06 PM »
I'll probably regret making this post because it's hard to explain what I mean anyway, but even though I haven't read all from the Hawtrees or maybe even that much, something gives me the feeling their books on architecture or architects just leaves something to be desired somehow, at least for me.

From what I've seen from them they just seem like good worker bees, maybe even very good worker bees.

The ones I like to read best are that group who seemed to be searching for something in architecture or in golf through architecture, whether it was artistic, aesthetic, functional, spiritual, whatever.

Of course I'm talking about those such as Tillinghast, Thomas, Hunter, Mackenzie, Wethred and Simpson, Hutchinson and certainly Max Behr or even his counterpoint nemesis Joshua Crane.

I like to read the books and articles of those types better because even if history proved them wrong or off the mark somehow I just love that they were searching for something or dreaming of something even if they may've suspected it never really would be.

I just think they were the ones who are the most inspirational, at least for me.

With the Hawtrees, please, someone tell me I'm wrong about their books.

What I'm saying is probably something like the message that seems to be wrapped up in that old quotation that  Bobby Kennedy used to cite in almost all his speeches (don't even know who the author of it was) during his campaign for the presidency that was so regular it got the press corps sprinting for a good seat on the buses when he began to recite it.

"Some people see things as they are and ask why,
I dream things that never were and ask "why not?""
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 02:05:08 PM by TEPaul »

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 03:39:21 PM »
Tom,

I haven't read a lot of Hawtree's stuff, but what I have read seems fine.  

These books actually a compilation of writings by other architects and they include a little prologue to each piece if my memory serves me right from the first book.  So the amount of Hawtree is limited.  The essays were fine, but similar to writings by the same people that can be found in other books.  

I'm doubting whether I will purchase a copy of this book, but perhaps.  I'm not sure that I think the book is worth the $75 to purchase it.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 03:39:53 PM by Chris_Clouser »

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
Chris:

What I think I do like about the book is that it covers the years 1925-1971. I'd like to see if there's any particular philosophic reason for that slice of time.

Could it be that right around 1971 that virtual Darth Vader of golf architecture, Thomas Fazio was beginning to ramp up in the business---and BOOM, the world was introduced to the ultimate in photographic "art principles" applied to golf course architecture and the right road would become the road less traveled?

At least until that thoughtful band of "Good Guys" began to get into the business about fifteen years later who attempted to save the day and to reestablish the use of the Correct Road to The Truth and The Light that leads to The Sunlit Uplands of THINGS?  ;)

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Aspects of Golf Course Architecture II
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 09:16:14 AM »
I just bought this book... Any further feelings on it?

And I eventually bought 'British Golf Links' by Horace Hutchinson as well...

Tom Paul, I'd hazard a guess that the reason we have the years 1925 - 1971 is that the first book was anything before 1925 and perhaps 1971 seemed a logical cut-off point for Fred W Hawtree for the second book as that is when Martin Hawtree entered the business... Maybe his input reduced from then... Then again, your idea sounds possible too...

Anyway, here's the book's synopsis from Grant:

"An Anthology Assembled and Annotated by Fred Hawtree Grant Books 2008 Pp204, Illustrated with diagrams, portraits and other photos. Published in a limited edition of 600 copies of which 75 are the Woodstock Memorial edition bound in morocco. Bound in cream buckram cloth with gilt dec. on upper cover Completed by Hawtree in 1999, Volume 2 in the series but also stands alone. Chapters are introduced by the editor with a critique and commentary. Dr. Martin Hawtree has written: Fred Hawtree a Sketch. Fred Hawtree Golf Course Creator has been added. Contributors are:H.H. Hilton,J.F. Abercrombie, C.H. Alinson, J.S.F. Morrison, Col.S.V. Hotchkin (creator of Woodhall Spa, Theodore Moone, Tom Simpson, Philip Mackenzie Ross, Molly Gourlay (first woman golf architect), C.K. Cotton, J.J. Penninck, Donald Harradine, Eddie Hackett (creator of some of the best Irish golf courses), and J. Hamilton Stutt. Fred's Introduction is written in his inimitable style"

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 01:03:36 PM »
Timmings can be odd.

J Hamilton Stutt died last month.

His family was involved with construction and the firm worked closely with Braid. As a young man he worked with MacKenzie Ross(Sp?) on reconstructing Turnberry.

Later he closed the firm and became a full time architect.  I believe he was instrumental in the formation of the European organisation that represents them.

The tributes I read were unusally fulsome as to his fine charaqcter. He was in his 80's.

Sorry for this being so brief and sketchy but I have to run.  Perhaps someone could look for an obituary.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 04:50:55 AM »
Timmings can be odd.

J Hamilton Stutt died last month.

Perhaps someone could look for an obituary.

Tony, the EIGCA issued this obituary just after his death:

"The European Institute of Golf Course Architects is saddened to announce that Honorary Member and EIGCA Fellow, J Hamilton Stutt, died peacefully at home aged 83 years on 7th October.

Pre 1971 Hamilton was one of founding members of the British Association of Golf Course Architects (BAGCA) – the others were C. K Cotton (1887-1974), and Fred W Hawtree (1916 - 2000). In March 1971 the first annual meeting of BAGCA took place and the three founder members were recognised for their pioneering work.

One of the first golf course architects to join was Donald Harradine (1911 - 1996), whose son, Peter Harradine, past president of EIGCA, says, “Hamilton Stutt was an unquestionable example of a sincere, authentic and genuine gentleman, a definite role model to all of us, especially in today’s shallow world which is governed by greed, selfishness and deceit.

“A respected early friend and colleague of my father, in 1971 Hamilton wrote that he was ‘very glad to welcome a European-based member’ to the former solely British association. He was a true European who greatly helped convince the Euro sceptics in the former British Institute to accept the amalgamation of the three separate golf architects institutes/associations to form today’s EIGCA, by unequivocally supporting and speaking on behalf of the merger.

“As a founder member of BAGCA his intervention on behalf of the merger was extremely important and was definitely a major contribution to the future success of the European Institute of Golf Course Architects.

“I thank him dearly for all his support during the early days of the BAGCA followed by the BIGCA and the EIGCA. We will ensure that his remarkable career and contribution will never be forgotten.”

Ken Moodie, the current President of EIGCA, said, “Hamilton was a very supportive and inspirational member of the Institute. We owe a great debt to him as one of the founding fathers of our organisation, and also for his tremendous and crucial support for the merger of our parent bodies (BIGCA, ESGA and AFAG) into one truly pan-European organisation in 2000.

“On a personal note, he was a very warm, generous and enthusiastic mentor to me during my studies as a young golf course architect, between 1989-1991, and he continued to show an interest in my career for many years after. He will be much missed.”

J Hamilton Stutt was educated at Glasgow Academy and St Andrews University, where he studied mathematics and botany. He represented the university at both golf and tennis.

He was the son of John R Stutt (1897 – 1990), the builder of many courses designed by James Braid, and as a boy accompanied his father to several golf construction sites.

After service with the RAF in World War II, he entered his father’s business and also began studying civil engineering and surveying at Strathclyde University. Over the next fifteen years he constructed golf courses with many clients. Several of them were designed by the golf course architects Mackenzie Ross (partner of Tom Simpson) and John Morrison (partner of Harry Colt).

There is no doubt that these outstanding architects informed Hamilton’s future work. Great emphasis in Hamilton Stutt’s designs is placed on making the best use of existing natural features. This preserves the landscape and also greatly reduces construction costs.

In the 1960s he gave up the family construction business so that he could devote all his time to golf course architecture. He spoke French, German, Spanish and Norwegian and worked on more than 120 projects in Europe, Scandinavia and the Middle East. Among the favourites are Turnberry – Ailsa Course (with Mackenzie Ross), St Mellion Old, Meon Valley and Woodbury Park, Exeter.

Hamilton Stutt was Chairman of BAGCA in 1975 and President in 1980. By the 1990s BAGCA had become the British Institute of Golf Course Architects (BIGCA) and in 1996 awarded Hamilton Stutt a Silver Medal for his “outstanding services to golf architecture and golf”.

He was a member of the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews and president of Parkstone Golf Club. His publications include “Restoration of Derelict Land for Golf” for the Golf Development Council. He was for many years on the board of the Sports Turf Research Institute (STRI) and is a past president of the British & International Golf Greenkeepers Association (BIGGA).

Hamilton Stutt is survived by his wife, Berit, two sons, Ian and Colin, and five grandchildren.

The funeral will take place at Richmond Hill St Andrews URC, Bournemouth on Friday 17th October at 11.15 a.m. Family flowers only but donations can be made to Marie Curie Cancer Care at www.tapperfuneralservice.co.uk or sent to Tapper Funeral Service, 32/34 Parkstone Road, Poole, BH15 2PG Tel 01202 673164"

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 08:44:21 AM »
J Hamilton Stutt was educated at Glasgow Academy and St Andrews University, where he studied mathematics and botany. He represented the university at both golf and tennis.

He was the son of John R Stutt (1897 – 1990), the builder of many courses designed by James Braid, and as a boy accompanied his father to several golf construction sites.

This is coincidental as I had never heard mention of John Stutt on this site before.  I was leafing through some old papers and committee meeting minutes at my home club last week and I saw a letter from Stutt to the committee outlining how he would construct the course in accordance with James Braid's design.  I have to confess that I had never previously heard of Stutt and was unaware of his involvement with Braid.

Anyone know any more about John Stutt?

I also found Braid's routing for the course, but have yet to discover whether this is an original document or a copy.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back