News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CJ Carder

Golden Horseshoe Gold Course - Front 9 Photos
« on: January 13, 2008, 12:36:05 PM »
OK guys, I'm about to shoot myself at this point - not having a good day electronically speaking.  To make a long story short, this is my 3rd attempt at posting these pictures... I know what I'm doing, honestly, but I keep accidentally hitting the close button because I have too many windows open.  

Several of you asked me to post some extra pictures of the Golden Horseshoe Gold Course and so yesterday, while playing, I took some more pictures (well over 80 actually).  These are the highlights... I'll go back and do a "My Home Course" writeup later on in the year when the course is in better shape and the day is not so cloudy.

Tee shot on #1 - a dogleg right and a great place to be at 5 o'clock on a late spring afternoon when everything is green and you're the only person out there.

2nd shot on the par 5 2nd - it's about 240 from here to the hole, so laying up to the bottom of the hill isn't such a bad idea...

The 2nd green - one of the most severely sloped greens on the course and the one that is most often 3-putted.  It's a great defense for this hole that is otherwise quite easy to make par on.

View of the narrow green on the par 4 5th.  It's a birdie hole, sure, but you better make sure you're spot on with your wedge or it quickly turns into a bogey hole.

2nd shot on the par 5 6th - the shortest par 5 on the course, but that's a helluva small target if you're going for a par 5 in two.  I'm about 220 out here after a 250+ drive.

View from behind #6 green...

Tee shot on the par 3 7th - quite possibly the hardest par 3 in Virginia (at least that I've ever played).

View from John Kavanaugh's "temporary green" at the bottom of 7.  It's not quite such an easy pitch from down there.

And the drop area on 7 isn't too nice either...

View from behind #7 green... there's a severe ridge that runs vertically through the right 3rd of the green... difficult to see, but it starts about equal with the rake handle.

That's it for now... more later from the back 9.

Bart Bradley

Re:Golden Horseshoe Gold Course - Front 9 Photos
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 12:39:54 PM »
Great photos...thanks for all the effort and repeat effort.. hope to see it live someday soon.

Bart

Greg Krueger

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:04:04 PM »
CJ, thanks for the pictures! Had a chance to play there in 2006, really enjoyed it!!

mark chalfant

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 01:45:14 AM »
CJ

Welcome to the site  and thanks for GH photos
1 I always enjoy the scenic third, 180 yds over a pond.. how's the sixth green ? in photo it looks quite sporty. Did you play Spotswood
recently

Mark

ps Muirfield pics were great,thanks

J Sadowsky

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 10:24:33 AM »
When I played GH I parred 7 and double bogied 16.  The Gold course has some of the best par 3s in the game - every single one, I think, presents an interesting challenge (and a lot of water).  The main issue with them, is the challenges seem a little similar from hole to hole - a drop shot, tough to gauge distance, accuracy is important, and water as a major hazard.

The first hole, like at many courses, I did not find particularly memorable.  But the second hole, I remember, provides an immediate challenge.  One of the more interesting things about the course, is that for any double digit handicapper it is a 3 shot hole, but for such a handicapper the layup is no picnic.  It is a downhill shot, with (at least when we played), fairway going straigh to the water.  My father nearly rolled into the water laying up.  I had a more difficult problem - I hit a spectacular, drive which left me with a very uncomfortable hybrid shot to the green, or nothing more than a chip to lay up.  I made the mistake of going for it, the ball got wet, and I bogied the hole.

The back 9, which I assume is coming up later, is really what makes the course spectacular, in my view.

The Golden Horseshoe Gold course is the best in Williamsburg that I've played, far more interesting than the River course, although I think I enjoyed it slightly less than the Tradition at Royal New Kent.  The staff there is just tremendously nice, you have two very good courses to choose, plus a nice 9 hole course and a good driving range.

Tell me, what is it like being a member at a resort golf course?  There are obviously quite a few of those in the mid-atlantic, including Kingsmill and (by me) Lansdowne.  Is pace of play an issue?  Conditioning?  This may be off topic, if so, maybe it should be saved for another thread.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 10:26:19 AM »
CJ

Welcome to the site  and thanks for GH photos
1 I always enjoy the scenic third, 180 yds over a pond.. how's the sixth green ? in photo it looks quite sporty. Did you play Spotswood
recently

Mark

ps Muirfield pics were great,thanks

The third can be quite dangerous - it is so hard to judge the distance.   My father said it looked close, took out a short iron, and missed the green short by more than 10 yards.  I thought I'd play it full distance, and sailed it over the green into a bunker.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 02:08:05 PM »
The Golden Horseshoe has always been a favorite of mine.  It fits so well within a small piece of property and gives the feeling that it rolls naturally with the topography.  

The 7th is a wonderful par 3.  The 16th is an island green surrounded by water but in some ways, the 7th is also an island green as there is no simple recovery from a shot which does not land on the green.  Short will roll all the way back down the hill and you hope to wind up in a bunker if you are left, right or long, because otherwise, you are in an unplayable situation.  It is difficult to judge the distance as you cannot tell if the green is at the same level as the tee, and the ball is exposed to the winds as it flies over the river.   Again, a great par 3.

CJ Carder

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 02:54:11 PM »
Tell me, what is it like being a member at a resort golf course?  There are obviously quite a few of those in the mid-atlantic, including Kingsmill and (by me) Lansdowne.  Is pace of play an issue?  Conditioning?  This may be off topic, if so, maybe it should be saved for another thread.

Justin,

I actually could start a whole rant on this topic, but I'll try to keep it short.  :-)  I'll first start by saying that you've hit on my biggest problem with the course - in a couple of ways.  

1.  Resort courses, I have found, are typically managed by people without a real "interest" in the golf course itself and this is no different at our course.  It's managed, I assume, as a loss leader for Colonial Williamsburg and serves as a great side track for men bringing their families on vacation and having no desire to go shopping or see the historical sites 24/7.  I understand that's why it is there, but that underlying premise leads into my next frustration...

2.  Course conditioning always leaves something to be desired in some way.  Perhaps I'm a perfectionist and expect too much, but I think I've only once seen the course truly play to its potential and that was during the NCAAs this past year.  Typically, the problems rotate between excessive green aerification (is 9 times per year really necessary?), slow green speeds, way too much sand in the bunkers (I have actually sunk to my ankles before), lack of definition between rough, fairway, fringe, etc.  I could go on and on, but yes, conditioning does tend to take a beating when you have resort guests that do not respect the course and only play once or twice a year.

3.  Pace of play, surprisingly, is not the biggest issue in the world, but that is in part due to the time of day I normally play.  In the summer, I'm out at 7 or 730 and done by 1030 or 11.  Still, there are the occasional frustrating times when I call 7 days ahead of time and find out the course is booked because of a convention or corporate outing.  

4.  My biggest beef is quasi-related to the resort nature of the course.  Basically, we don't really have a "club."  Sure, there are a decent amount of members - but the members only exist to play the course and nothing else.  As a result, member events are typically sparsely attended, or the pro has to work hard to get people to come, etc.  

All in all, while I absolutely love the course itself (the reason I stay a member), I find myself wishing that Williamburg had more offerings in the private golf course category (we currently only have 1 and it is almost cost prohibitive unless you live in the neighborhood).  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back