News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Aerial - Guess the course
« on: January 11, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »
Guess the aerial...

Joel_Stewart

Re:Aerial - Guess the course
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 09:37:33 PM »
The Institute?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 09:42:05 PM »
Joel:

I'd say that is an EXCELLENT guess, since I remember they wanted replicas of the 12th and 13th holes at Augusta National, and I see the results of that at the bottom left of the picture.

Interesting lack of bunkers ... too bad Neal can't comment on it.

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:49:04 PM »
Hmmmmmh......Tom, there are bunkers there if you look carefully.  If I could comment I might surmise that the bunkers you can't readily see have already been covered for the season.  That is, if I could comment.

Old pic, btw.
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 09:53:03 PM »
Great guess Joel.

I was hoping it would be a little more difficult than that but you must be from NorCal...

When talking about US Opens, its my understanding this course could very much hold one.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »
Has anyone ranked, or tried to rank, the course?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 10:00:02 PM »
I've heard from a few raters on here that they haven't been able to get access as of yet.

Think its tough getting on ANGC, seems even tougher getting on this one.   ;D

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »
We've talked about this before, here is a photo of the par 5 7th, 659 yards.  Upper right, double dogleg in the aerial.

Like Neal, I can't comment on it.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 11:47:30 AM »
The google view has been done here before.

Given time I suspect many would have gotten it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Norbert P

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 12:49:06 PM »
 "The 18-hole "The Institute" course at the The Institute LLC facility in Morgan Hill, California features 7,952 yards of golf from the longest tees . Designed by Damian V. Pascuzzo, ASGCA,  The Institute golf course opened in 2002.  

7952 yards !   Well it is supposed to be a MATH Institute, I guess they feel obligated to prove that they can count really high.  Every hole must be downhill.  Sounds easy - Driver, 3 wood, putter, putter.  A round in perfect fours.

Kalen, If you'd've shown the INSIDE of the institute, I probably would have recognized it. I know what those look like.  

"I want to watch the $^%damned World Series !!!"  Randal McMurphy

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »

I wrote a letter to John Frye asking to play the golf course and surprisingly he didn't respond.  

I know someone who knows him so maybe next year but it's not high on my list and I don't really care.

Good point Neal.  I see the bunkers that are covered but why are the bunkers on the top/middle right not covered?  

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 02:05:11 PM »

I wrote a letter to John Frye asking to play the golf course and surprisingly he didn't respond.  

I know someone who knows him so maybe next year but it's not high on my list and I don't really care.

Good point Neal.  I see the bunkers that are covered but why are the bunkers on the top/middle right not covered?  

It looks like the aerial is a composite of two separate photographs taken in different seasons.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 02:05:21 PM by Kyle Harris »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 04:31:03 PM »

It would appear that the aerial is a composite--the green part taken, perhaps, in the spring and the brown, perhaps, in the summer.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 04:38:18 PM »
The picture in not a composite.   The green is from using enormous amounts of water.

This is a private golf course, owned by 1 person with alot of money who uses it generally for himself and a few guests.  

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 08:22:53 PM »
To answer the question, the aerial is actually two snaps of the course at different times of the year.

The majroity of it appears to be taken in the winter time with covered bunkers and everything being green with the winter rain.  The top right hand corner is probably a summer time pic with the golden brown hills and exposed white bunkers.  Then the geniuses at Google spliced them together for the aerial view.

Mike Benham

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 10:45:03 AM »

He probably didn't answer the letter because you spelled his name wrong ... ;)

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back