News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

As-Built Surveys
« on: December 28, 2007, 01:47:09 PM »
To what extent do contracts require an as-built survey upon completion of construction?

I would think this would be at the owner's discretion, but occasionally desirable so that the location and elevation of features are memorialized for future restoration and/or maintenance purposes.  On the other hand, I'm betting most owners are tired of spending money at this point in the process!

Mike

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 01:47:57 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brian Phillips

Re:As-Built Surveys
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:48:14 PM »
Many contracts have it in the construction contract so that it is done before hand over.

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 02:49:52 PM »
One of the cool things we got at Pensacola CC was a GPS-operated irrigation system, which I think in effect acts as an as-built.  But I could be wrong.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:48:06 PM »
An as-built of the Irrigation system is almost always part of the irrigation contract (either design or construction).  The golf contractor may also provide all the features on the same as-built but that isn't as prevalent.

If the contract calls for billing according to green and bunker sizes it is more common.

Bill I'll guess that what you are referring to is a computer controlled irrigation system that has incorporated the GPS data.  It is more of a graphical interface in its day to day use - there are additional features once the map is in place.

Once I get a few of the last updates incorporated into our system I'll show some pictures on the blog - most notably the hand help palm with the GPS data incorporated to use in the field.

I'll then let Don describe the differences.  I don't know how much more he'll be able to accomplish in the field than with the current radio system - which he knows quite well.

My understanding is that the biggest advantage is the ability to make program changes while in the field and then updating the main computer with a simple docking download.  Someone not as experienced as Don may also be more adept with the palm system.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Ray Richard

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 04:10:41 PM »
In the Northeast,GPS as-builts for new irrigation systems is the standard. Most irrigation designers do the work directly because they have the locations in their own GPS program.

Most architects require bunker drainage and cleanout locations too. This is usually done by the contractor-who frequently subcontracts it out. The actual as-built of golf features and elevations is rarely done although a boundary shot along green and bunker edges can be helpful to determine square footages and quantities of materials needed.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 04:58:29 PM »
There is a melting of GPS work on courses. As Mike N. points out, an irrigation contract almost always calls for an as-built. I have never worked on a project that does not require one.

However, now we see yardage booklets using GPS and contractors using GPS and the irrigation using GPS and the state golf association charged with rating the course using GPS.

At a recent project we saw four separate GPS efforts — it was a waste of resources. Frankly, the yardage book people (Best Approach in this case) could have done the entire work and shared the data. But they didn't.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 11:42:20 PM »
There is a melting of GPS work on courses. As Mike N. points out, an irrigation contract almost always calls for an as-built. I have never worked on a project that does not require one.

However, now we see yardage booklets using GPS and contractors using GPS and the irrigation using GPS and the state golf association charged with rating the course using GPS.

At a recent project we saw four separate GPS efforts — it was a waste of resources. Frankly, the yardage book people (Best Approach in this case) could have done the entire work and shared the data. But they didn't.

So if that were part of the contract specifications, it could save everybody money down the road - the super, the developer, the green committee in 10 years, the GCA for the as-built.  Something else to think of!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 12:11:33 AM »
Bill,
I'm not sure of the total savings.  The data that each entity collects is a little different.

The irrigation as-built includes all the types of valves, underground pipe and the control items.  When that data is taken the course isn't grown-in yet.  Unless it was flagged appropriately - a yardage book company would not be qualified to identify an irrigation system.

The Texas golf association requires the clubs to provide the data usually.

As for the contractor - it varies widely.  The drainage system is usually complicated to map especially if covered - usually only the basins are mapped at the end.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 12:57:56 AM »
In our recent case, four separate crews of people went out into the field to collect basically the same data. With perhaps one extra day, one crew could have done the field work and saved several days of time. The irrigation consultant, for example, could simply have added layers to a CAD file provided to him. As it was, he collected data from the field (set up a GPS system and prepared for a few day's work), built the CAD files AND added the valves and irrigation data.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 12:59:11 AM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back