News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

What's on the horizon???
« on: December 21, 2007, 12:12:53 PM »
Hello everyone.

What's on the horizon for the coming year?  I expect Doak to roll out Rock Creek Cattle....perhaps Wicked Pony as well.

Where is C & C?  Or is it just Coore now?  What is he up to?

Hanse?  Is the Valentine project coming to fruition yet?  Anyone know?

Anyone played the "Castle Course" yet?  Love to hear about it....other DMKidd projects?

Is Mike Devries working on anything special?

I look forward to Nuzzo's first solo design......

Is there anything else on the immediate horizon that's going to make waves?  

Do I care what Rees Jones is up to?  Ted Robinson? et al

Let's hear some dirt, fellas, it's going to be a long winter!  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:16:37 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jfaspen

Re:What's on the horizon???
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:25:09 PM »
I'd love a status update on the C&C course in Bluffton, SC..  

Should provide a good compliment to the Nicklaus course there.

That being said, I'm not sure that construction has started.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 12:33:40 PM »

Anyone played the "Castle Course" yet?  Love to hear about it....other DMKidd projects?

The Castle Course will officially open in the summer of 2008. The Links Trust had plans for an event where the media could play a couple of holes during The Open at Carnoustie. I don't think it materialized though.

I walked parts of the course in March and thought that it looked pretty interesting with a couple of quite wild greens.  

grandwazo

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 01:14:25 PM »
Jeff

I visited Palmetto Bluffs last month and although the Coore Crenshaw course is being described as a done deal, the area of the property that the course will occupy is not even close to being developed at this point.  Palmetto is over 20,000 acres (!!!!) and when finished will be a development of significant proportions.  That being said, everything I saw led me to believe that the team in charge and the money behind the deal (Duke Energy) will pull it off.  What they have completed so far is pretty impressive and the May River course was everything that Ran's profile said it would be.  

I would estimate that the Coore Crenshaw course is at least 2-3 years away.  It's about 20 minutes from the developments entrance as it is now to get to the main "town" area at Palmetto where the Auberge de Soleil Inn at Palmetto Bluff and the May River course are.  The Coore Crenshaw course will be probably another 20 minutes or more south from what is now the center of the development.  The Coore Crenshaw course will be considered the "members course" and the May River course will do double duty with resort guest play.  If I understood correctly, the really "special" lots and areas of the project are years away and anyone buying now will have to endure living in a construction zone during that time frame.  

It will be interesting once it opens knowing that Chechessee Creek is relatively close by, only about 20 minutes from the main entrance (but really probably closer to 45 minutes between the two courses).  I wonder if CC has two courses so close to each other (not owned by the same owner) any where else?

All this being said, I'm looking forward to another visit to the Inn and will continue to monitor the project, it will definitely be a special place.

Cliff Walston

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 02:04:57 PM »
C&C have the Austin Golf Club and their course at Barton Creek that are approximately that far apart.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 02:16:06 PM »
Is it time for the monthly check-up on Cabot Links?

Or should we wait until the glacier recedes again in May?  ;)
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 05:46:06 PM »
I think the C and C course i Florida, Orlando area, opens in Feb 08
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 05:48:50 PM »
Rock Creek cattle Company!

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 05:49:38 PM »
David Kidd's Machrihanish Dunes opens in 2008.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 05:59:46 PM »
...also four mile ranch...

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 06:12:43 PM »
Tom Walker's Founders Club at Pawleys Island will open in February. This course was built on the site of Gene Hamm's old Sea Gull Golf Course built in 1967. Reports are the new course is visually stunning. We'll have to see how it plays.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

michael_j_fay

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 06:23:02 PM »
Bill Coore has been sighted infrequently in Pinehurst but long enough to clesr snf rough in some of the holes. I was lucky enough to et a guided tour from the developer.

Dormie Club, in my estimation, will be one of the premiere golf courses in North Carolina. The overall facility the course, the clubhouse and the practice area will rival any golf facility, anywhere.

This is a case of intelligent planning, a great piece of property and the overriding theme of golf at its best.

The Dormie Club is all about the golf.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 06:52:21 PM »

Ron Prichards long range plan for West Bend CC.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 06:54:24 PM »

In British Columbia, all of the activity seems to be on Vancouver Island and in the Okanagan valley. The price of real estate near the City is most likely why nothing is being built nearby.

Tower Ranch, which is near Kelowna, will open in the spring. www.golftowerranch.com  Thomas McBroom design. From the website, pics show lots of great views and elevation changes. Bunkering looks like a collection of cloverleafs. Thomas McBroom is also working with Annika on a course at Red Mountain in the West Kootenay Valley but that is in the early stages, only recently announced.

Sagebrush, advertised as a "minimalist" design, will open in the Quilchena valley, between Vancouver and Kelowna. Rod Whitman and Richard Zokol are listed as the architects and our Jeff Mingay has also been very active at the site. It will be very private and pics show how dry the climate is in that area. Course looks fabulous.

Gil Hanse is working on a course at Union Bay, mid way up the east coast of Vancouver Island. Apparently clearing was complete this fall and serious design work will get underway in the spring. I would guess the course will open in 2009 but not sure.

Greg Norman is designing another course on Vancouver Island called The Cliffs over Maple Bay but that would seem to be a 2009 entry as well.

"The Rise" a Couples signature course was scheduled to open this year but rumours are it is having financial problems. It is near Vernon, just north of Kelowna and would have fantastic views of Lake Okanagan. Should be some word on that in the spring. Gene Bates has done most of the design. Freddie visited the site for the first time last June.

All of these areas are easy trips from Washington / Oregon. Hopefully we can arrange a GCA outing this summer.

Bob Jenkins

Lester George

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 06:58:12 PM »

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 07:01:45 PM »

Sagebrush link is www.sagebrushgolf.com

Michael Dugger

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 07:02:02 PM »

All of these areas are easy trips from Washington / Oregon. Hopefully we can arrange a GCA outing this summer.

Bob Jenkins

Dang, Bob, you are the guy in the know!  Love it, thanks!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jason McNamara

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 12:00:11 AM »
In British Columbia, all of the activity seems to be on Vancouver Island and in the Okanagan valley.

Bob, what is the latest (if any) on Capilano and their lease?

Thanks,  Jason

ps.  The Castle Stuart preview (soft open?) looks to be in the works for late next year.

Dieter Jones

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 06:44:54 AM »
Bill Coore is doing the second course at Barnbougle
(The Lost Farm). There were pegs marking green and tee sites in the ground when I was up there last week.

Word around the place is they are aiming for a start in the new year once the routing is finalised / approved.

No sign of Crenshaw.  
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 09:30:46 AM »
Jason,

You're thinking of Shaughnessy, not Capilano.

I don't know the answer to your question. Bob might.
jeffmingay.com

Jason McNamara

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 06:22:25 PM »
Doh!  Thanks for the correction, Jeff.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2007, 11:53:45 AM »
There's a new one opening this spring in Ruidoso, NM called Rainmakers. Looks very cool. RTJ Jr design.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 11:54:02 AM by Andy Troeger »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back