News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Accidental vs. Intentional Architecture
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 02:42:12 PM »
No question about that, it's part of Pete's salesmanship.  He is one of the smartest people I've ever known, in the engineering-by-the-seat-of-your-pants realm.  He figures out how to do things that teams of engineers just can't imagine, and he makes them work.

JESII

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 04:03:02 PM »
I'll try again...

How do you feel about an architect being judged on his courses as the game evolves? If a hole's strategic qualities are effectively changed as agronomy and equipment evolve is the architect really deemed to have "seen it coming"?

Donald Ross' Seminole might be a good example of a course whose qualities have shifted over these last 80 years or so...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 04:19:55 PM »
JES,

Forget about length and strategy.....How could a gca see his course changing from a big time private club to a city run muni and all the effects that change would have on the design?

I think Seminole is about the same course it always was - a good CC test.  In the old days, pre sand wedge, and with older equipment, the wind and bunkers might have been the biggest challenge.

Now, its the lightning fast greens and for many, still the bunkers - once presumably more in play for good players, now they affect far more average golfers.

A course with good bones will always be a good course.  Figuring how all the possible changes of the future might affect it is well beyond my knowledge level!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Philippe Binette

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 05:21:33 PM »
great architects intentionally let accidental element happen...

where as if you do a detail plan of everything and don't let a accident happen every once in a while, you'll lack variety

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back