News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philippe Binette

Re:Great Golf on So-So Sites
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2007, 04:33:52 PM »
All I'm saying is that things have to be put in perspective in that situation...

Muirfield routing and courses is unbelievable, Kingston Heath is too... we should more celebrate the work of the architect than calling the site so-so...

What's great at Kingston Heath is that they built a course of 7000 yards, of that quality, while understanding the scale etc, it's close to perfect...

but if your goal is to built a good par 70 of 6100 yards, the site is not that so-so, once again it's always what you're aiming for.

Muirfield, what's unbelievable is that the architect got everything out of the site

But we could say so too of Merion... and most of the great courses in the world.

If out of the blue you have the same site has merion tomorrow:
most architects would be able to built a course and consider the site is small but good....
but if you ask them to built a course which would be in the world top 20, they would say it's impossible.

JESII

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2007, 04:44:11 PM »
I would think identifying a course on a thread titled "Great Golf on so-so sites" is a celebration of what the architect accomplished...by definition, they outperformed.

I don't think every thread needs to dial down and discuss the specific architectural features of a course...if the course passes the test of whether or not it is great, and it is agreed that the site is so-so, than the architect did a great job.

If you were in Melbourne tomorrow and someone offered you the blank canvas that Kingston Heath is on or the one Yarra Yarra is on, which would you choose?

Philippe Binette

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »
I can't answer that one Jes II, I haven't seen Yarra Yarra. I've seen Kingston heath...

If somebody offer me a site on the sandbelt tommorow, I'm in

JESII

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2007, 05:13:14 PM »
But...what if they offered you only one of two different spots?

I guess the point is that I think this thread is a different way of celebrating the architect...hell, there are enough 'crappy course on great site' conversations that I think this is a good way to give recognition...

Philippe Binette

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2007, 05:14:26 PM »
I would like to hear Tom Doak vision of High Pointe, how does he rank the quality of that site. I thought it was a hard site and think the course that came out of it is really good...

Philippe Binette

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2007, 05:15:30 PM »
What is Yarra Yarra like compare to Kingston heath...

I'll open my sandbelt book in the same time

Philippe Binette

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2007, 05:21:59 PM »
From the air, (liveEarth), I'll probably choose Kingston Heath because it seems like there's a tight corner of the property at yarra yarra where it's hard to figure out how to route the holes in an another way than it is now

Chris Kane

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2007, 05:39:17 PM »
Yarra Yarra is much better land for golf - significant undulation - but the space is constricted.

JESII

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2007, 05:40:21 PM »
Philippe,

Sorry for the delay...I'm no architect so I wouldn't know what you guys look for...and I really liked Yarra Yarra as well, but I only saw each once. It is not Kingston Heath, and I would give full credit to the architect for that.

Ash Towe

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2007, 05:57:40 PM »
Philipe-My comment was indeed a compliment,of the highest order, to the architect.
Regarding the sites on offer-I am not in the golf business and have not seen, or likely to see, the type of land that is being made available.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back