News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CharlestonBuckeye

Hawaii Golf Question
« on: November 20, 2007, 06:39:40 AM »
I'm looking to visit in January and probably relegated to staying at a Marriott property.  I know virtually nothing.

Can anyone make recommendations with regards to which island offers the best golf AND "tourist/ sightseeing" activities?  And any specifics toward Marriott as well.

thank you in advance,

Jonathan Cummings

Re:Hawaii Golf Question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 07:00:57 AM »
Shawn - you'll get many responses.  If you search this site you'll find pages and pages of answers.  I've played most all of the Hawaiian courses and find none of great merit.  As I've said before you don't go to Hawaii to play golf (I don't think I have ever heard of a group of guys planning a golf outing to the isles).  Golf in Hawaii is thoroughly average with some courses being more average than others.

Hawaii is romantic - a place you take the wife, sig other, girlfriend, etc.  Hawaii is aquadic - a place for whale watching and snorkling.  Hawaii inpires awe - live volcanos and towering waterfalls.  Hawaii is beautiful - pristine beaches and world class sunsets.  Hawaii is golf - when the family is off doing other things.....  

All the islands are worth visiting - my personal favorite is The Big Island.  For first time visitors the Marriott at Kaanapoli (Maui) offers a good base to experience a variety of Hawaii.

JC  

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
A friend and I take a golf trip to Hawaii every year - we rotate island visits.  The Big Island has the best collection of courses but Mauna Kea is closed until fall 2008 for refurbishment. Don't forget to take the family to the volcano.
Be the ball

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 11:33:14 AM »
Shawn - I have been to the Big Island and Kauai.  I did not play much golf but I can really recommend this series of travel books:

http://www.oahurevealed.com/bigisland/bigisland.html

They are probably the best I have ever used.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 11:46:36 AM »
Kauai is a great option.  While there's not much nightlife, it's arguably the most beautiful island with lots to see and do, such as the Waimea Canyon and Na Pali Coast.  The Kauai Marriott Resort is a very nice property, and adjoins the two Kauai Lagoons golf courses.  The Kiele Course at Kauai Lagoons is pretty good, but I thought I remember someone saying here recently that they were making some changes to it.  Worth checking into.  Of course, there's also the Prince Course on the north side of the island at Princeville.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 11:47:28 AM by Mike_Erdmann »

Powell Arms

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 12:11:58 PM »
Shawn,

I've been to Hawaii a lot in the past ten years.  It sounds like an active vacation is what your're looking for.  If that is so, then Kauai and the Big Island are the top choices.  Maui is cool but is more built up and has a much more commercial feel.  Lanai is smaller and you'll be confined to the two Ritz resorts there (which is a high class problem, to be sure).

The guidebooks referneced above are awesome, and are continually updated so the restaurant and activity reviews are great.  It is very improtant to choose the right guide for any activities, and these books have never steered my family wrong.

I've only golfed on Kauai, and was dissappointed on my last trip to Kauai Lagoons, which is at the Marriot Kauai.  A thread on that is HERE .  

On Kauai, the Princeville Prince course uses the land in the most interesting manner.  It is about 45 minutes from the Marriott.  Some other lesser known courses are Puakea, which has an interesting set of 18 holes, and is fine if you don't mind playing with a Home Depot and Costco as the backdrop for the front nine.  There's a real treat of a nine hole course Kalaheo, known as Kukiolono.  That thread is HERE .

Waimea Canyon and the Na Pali coast by themselves are worth the trip to Kauai.  Tons of very well marked trails amke for awesome hikes way into the back country with no fear of getting lost.  If you rent a four whell drive, you can explore a lot of Waimea Canyon by dirt road and get to some trailheads that would otherwise be too far of a hike in.

If you head to the Big Island, make sure to book a night or two in Volcano Lodge, within Volcano National Park.  The current eruption is one of the most amazing sites on earth.
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Brad Swanson

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 12:55:19 PM »
I'll be traveling to Kauai in January, without my clubs.  My wife was nonplussed when I told her this, but I feel the same way as Jonathan.  Golf doesn't register on my list of activities when traveling to Hawaii.

Cheers,
Brad

Roger Tufts

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 01:26:58 PM »
Kauai is probably my most favorite place on this earth. It is so peaceful; its almost like a secret from the rest of the world that is in such plain view.

With Princeville, Poipu Bay, and the Kauai Lagoons courses, it is a decent place to golf as well. And I can tell you from experience that the Mariott on Kauai is the most stunning, accommodating, beautiful, fun, and hospitable hotels I have EVER stayed in.

Maui is also a great destination, with Kapalua and Kaanapali real close (Though I think Kaanapali kind of lacks.) If you make your way over to Haleakala, try to play Pukalani... its a great little public course that probably has the most elevation changes on any one golf course I have ever played, as it is built half way up on the slopes of the 10000 foot volcano.

Oahu I haven't had much golf experience on, but there is Ko'Olina, Ko'Olau (the "most difficult" golf course in the world) among many others in the Honolulu area. The Marriott there is very nice as well, and RIGHT on Waikiki beach, though I think Honolulu takes away from what Hawaii is meant to be as a vacation spot, as it is the state's capital and there are actually businesses there.

As for the Big Island, I can't tell you very much. My brother or Dad could tell you far more than I as they have both played there many, many times, and there are some great courses down there.

If you can make it, try to make a day trip to Lanai'i as I have heard the 2 courses there (The Challenge and The Experience) make a great Hawaiian golf 36-Hole Day, and the Island is only 1 city, so it is very tiny and makes for a great day trip.

Enjoy!!!!
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 02:12:28 PM »
Just came back from a friend's wedding in Hawaii, clubs in tow. Played four times in 10 days.

MAUI: Played Kap Bay, Kap Plantation and the Dunes at Maui Lani. The first is a pretty tame resort course, the second is definitely worth the trip and is located near the West Maui resort strip, as a bonus for you. The third is a decent budget option (as Hawaii goes) but has several holes under renovation at the moment. However, the scenic roads, charming small towns and fantastic volcano made this island a very good destination overall. Don't miss Haleakala, whatever you do. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/guynick/1985902838/in/set-72157602870025237/)

OAHU: Played just one, Ko'olau, which was fascinating and beautiful - probably the best golfing dollar of any that I played (http://www.flickr.com/photos/guynick/2010129363/in/set-72157602870025237/). Was it alone worth spending time on Oahu? Probably not. I did stay a few nights at the Ko'olina Beach Club, a Marriott property, and can recommend it - they treated us very well and it's got good facilities. But it is marooned a bit on the west side of the island, at the end of a congested freeway. If you go, make sure to get a room away from the expansion project.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 07:19:55 PM »
Shawn, unlike some of the slackers on this site I played 21 courses in 14 days in Hawaii last year.  The Big Island does have a great collection of courses.  But they don't call it the Bid Island for nothing.  There are some long drives.  I love Kauai.  It has it all. mts, the Waimea Canyon, beaches and wonderful golf.  I am probably in the minority on this site but I loved the challenge of the Prince.  The have some very good inexpensive public courses.  My second favorite is Lanaii.  From the boat ride from Maui to the tremendous variation in terrain on a small island.  The mountains almost feel like the rockies and the course is very good.  The Challenge at Manele on the water is outstanding.  Maui has three very good resorts with the plantation course the best of the lot.
I still had time to sightsee, but the sights from the courses were stunning, so why bother.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

R_Paulis

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 08:46:33 PM »
Played just about everything in Kauai during a three week vacation. Very serene, tropical and relaxing place to be for an extended stay.

Poipu Bay got the most of my play for they had a great twilight option and killer views on the home stretch.

Princeville has two with the Prince a mucky mess and the other easier and more enjoyable for it was at least dry.

Got a kick out of only nine-holer muni on the island. The other muni is generally windswept and generally boring.

The Lagoon courses were fun but conditions were a little rough at the time. The only memorable thing about Pua Kea was its immaculate condition.

I enjoyed the RTJ Jr course the most. Challenging layout but not on the water.  

Limited restaurants and non-existant nightlife but few go to Kauai for these types of things.

Norbert P

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »
Kuhuku on Oahu, east of North Shore. Probably cost you 12 bucks for 9 holes. Great place for golfing and dreaming of wahinis.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 02:50:33 AM »
  Having played on all the islands,  I think the best of them is Maui-    Kapalua Bay and The Plantation, and Makena North and South and Wailea Gold are probably the best with several other decent selections ( I would forget about Kaanapali).  
    The other comments have definite merit.  If you go to the Big Island and can't get on any of the newer privates,  Mauna Kea is still probably the best available although I thought Hapuna and Big Island CC (the latter has the only bent greens in Hawaii and you can see both snow on the volcano and whales in the ocean at the same time) were good. The other standards there are just ok.
    A real treat is to go to Lanai-  the Lodge at Koele up in the pine trees is very unusual for Hawaii ( and probably the most romantic spot on the Islands)  and the 2 courses very enjoyable.  They often have packages there which include golf or meals and I think the best restaurant in Hawaii is located there.
    One thing to keep in mind is that golf at many of the courses in Hawaii is very expensive  -however  if you do go to Maui I would fork over the dough for Plantation for sure.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back