News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

goldj

Engineer's
« on: November 19, 2007, 05:39:10 PM »
I'm interested in the board's views of Engineer's, in Roslyn, NY.  Herbert Strong course with modifications done by Gil Hanse a few years back.  Wild greens to say the least.

It rates around 80th in Golfweek's Classics rankings, yet doesn't appear in any of the rankings from Golf Digest or Golf Mag. Nor does it appear in the top 50 on a recent ranking of  New York Met area according to a listed published by the Metropolitan Golf Association magazine.  

Suspect that it's a love it or hate it proposition.

Mike Sweeney

Re:Engineer's
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:06:34 PM »
There are many threads on Engineers in the search. Tripp Davis did the work. Here is one:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=26211;start=0
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 06:07:14 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 05:49:49 PM »
A hearty welcome to our newest newbie.

Re; Search Function

It has been suggested to use Google to search for specific topics, but only if you want results. Or, to be introduced to Ran's newest cyber competitor.  

Here; http://www.blaironeal.com/

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 06:21:10 PM »
Adam

is she any relation to Bally-Neal?

James B

ps  welcome goldj.  I would be interested in your thoughts on the old thread.  You could bring the old thread back, and start a new discussion on some aspect.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:23:26 PM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark Smolens

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 06:42:14 PM »
Mr. C, the heck with a golf course, how do I make the link to Blair's website work?  If I'm gonna be blowing off work with a trial coming up next week I think I prefer that. . .

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 06:55:12 PM »
Mark, The link works fine for me. Give it a moment than click on her main page.

James, I'll have to look up the familiar tree. ;)

The original post deserves some answer.

Is it love or hate? Or, has Engineers been over-looked? (until Brad's piece in GW)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:13:05 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Brad Klein

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 07:21:56 PM »
I think we did a Golfweek cover story of it in Oct. 2006 in anticipation of it cracking the top-100 Classic as a result of Tripp Davis' restoration work, and Engineers indeed came through in March 2007 at No. 83.

Gil Hanse had done some consulting there in the mid-1990s but little of that plan was implemented, though it certainly cleared a path and sparked internal discussion so that Engineers' managers, staff and membership could eventually proceed. A lot of that early groundwork was also done by the late Marty Kantor, DDS, a wonderful, rabble rouser who got the ball rolling along with long-term superintendent Donnie Szymkowicz, CGCS and general manager Tucker Burns (who started there as a bus boy 25 years ago and worked his way to the top).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:23:33 PM by Brad Klein »

Mark Smolens

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 07:23:50 PM »
Didn't have lady golfers like that when I was in college. . .

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back