News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:A golfing week in SoCal
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2007, 03:27:09 AM »
It's at least another 45 minutes to Soule Park from Rustic. Ojai is somewhat convoluted to get to, not much different then Barona. To do the two in one day is going to be somewhat pushing it, but it can be done depending on the traffic on and off of the course.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2007, 03:31:35 AM »
If we are going to do this, might as well start a list:

So far:
The Izatt's
Tommy Naccarato
David Stamm
Jon Spaulding
Robert Ball (Robert, I'm putting you down whether you like it or not!)
Pete Lavallee (If in town)
Who else?

Matthew MacKay

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2007, 05:25:45 AM »
Your fellow Canuck spent a few days in SoCal in late Feb; here's what little advice I can offer:

-Barona from San Diego, location wise, would be like driving from T.O. to somewhere south of Barrie, except add mountains...it's a trek, but a beautiful drive in spots. I missed the turn twice, missed my tee-time and never got to tip it up.

-Torrey Pines South is ok but not worth the dough, IMO. Setting is very nice, especially for a Canuck in December.

-Rustic Canyon is absolutely superb...a revelation in what affordable public golf can be. I walked off the 18th green and headed straight to the 1st tee for another go-around. I'm still thinking of different ways I could have played holes.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 10:49:12 AM »
TN; I accept your placement of my name on the list and will speak with Momma about leaving her with 4 kids all day on a Saturday. I'm allowed to ask 3-4 times per annum without appendages being removed.

BI; you can always head to TP later in the morning, it just makes for a long day. In a perverse way, it might be the course you most need to see, so you can understand & comment on all the upcoming strife when the USGA shows up :D.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

rjsimper

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 10:12:49 AM »
Wish I could make it to join you guys, but no longer being an official resident of Southern California, I have a better chance on playing with Ran in Southern Pines that day than playing with you guys at Rustic.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2007, 11:54:26 AM »
Your no longer in SoCal?  What the hell is this?

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2007, 01:11:52 PM »
Ryan, is Tommy saying you left SoCal and you didn't tell him?  Wow.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Jason Connor

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2007, 01:44:28 PM »
I stumbled upon the SCGA Members Club one day (maybe half way between LA and SD?)  and I an enjoyable round there with a gentleman that was Gene Littler's attorney!

I had a wonderful day at an old Trent Jones course and enjoyed the company.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

David Stamm

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2007, 01:55:30 PM »
Your no longer in SoCal?  What the hell is this?

TN, sadly Ryan has left us. He got himself engaged and didn't even consult us about relocating! The nerve of the little whippersnapper!  ;) Hopefully he won't be a stranger to us out here in granola land.

We'll miss ya Simps!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

R_Paulis

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2007, 03:10:20 AM »
Bryan - Get one of the early (and chilly) slots at Rustic.
I've done both this time of year but you have to be among the first off.

Check the available times online at Soule to see if there are any big blocks of time reserved the day you want to play - a sure sign of a tourney and slow round.

Head North to Santa Barbara instead of San Diego - It's only another hour North of Ojai. SB is a good place to stay to get another 36 day in, with a Ranch San Marcos/La Purisima combo.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »
If we are going to do this, might as well start a list:

So far:
The Izatt's
Tommy Naccarato
David Stamm
Jon Spaulding
Robert Ball (Robert, I'm putting you down whether you like it or not!)
Pete Lavallee (If in town)
Who else?

Tommy et al,

I checked Rustic's tee sheet for Saturday December 1.  Looks like they have a member tournament in the early hours.  First available foursome times are after 11 a.m.  How are you guys with a time between 11:00 and noon?  If there's a desire to do two courses in the day we could try Soule Park first and then Rustic.  On-line booking at Soule Park for Dec 1 is not available until tomorrow.  Opinions?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back