News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Chris Cupit

Re:Are There Any Truly Bad Courses in the British Isles?
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2007, 10:44:22 AM »
Well.......it was pretty bad.  Certainly not the worst course I have ever played but without a doubt the worst I have ever played a national championship on!!

As an American most of my trips to the British Isles are spent playing the "better" courses so I see how that can skew things a bit.  But the course was definitely forced onto some really bad property. If I was right about it being 9 holes at first I am sure it is an excellent example of how a decent 9 is far superior to a crappy 18.

Matthew,

Thanks for the mini "review".  I played fine there as well but I can't see how the members would think #7 is great--maybe a few Guinness beers?!?!  

Its a 'members bonce' hole I probably. Kilkeel does seem to get a National championship every couple of years ??? I once read a review by an Americian that said it was as good if not better than RCD ::) This course holds happy memories for me because on my first play I won my first ever schools match 8 and  6!

The strange thing aboy it has about 1000 acres of class land on the estate and probably has the golf course on the worst land. This could be a Matthew Hunt redesign in the future  ;)

Let me know when you have the Hunt Signature course at Kilkeel complete--I'll come play at once ;D

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2007, 10:50:13 AM »
Well.......it was pretty bad.  Certainly not the worst course I have ever played but without a doubt the worst I have ever played a national championship on!!

As an American most of my trips to the British Isles are spent playing the "better" courses so I see how that can skew things a bit.  But the course was definitely forced onto some really bad property. If I was right about it being 9 holes at first I am sure it is an excellent example of how a decent 9 is far superior to a crappy 18.

Matthew,

Thanks for the mini "review".  I played fine there as well but I can't see how the members would think #7 is great--maybe a few Guinness beers?!?!  

Its a 'members bonce' hole I probably. Kilkeel does seem to get a National championship every couple of years ??? I once read a review by an Americian that said it was as good if not better than RCD ::) This course holds happy memories for me because on my first play I won my first ever schools match 8 and  6!

The strange thing aboy it has about 1000 acres of class land on the estate and probably has the golf course on the worst land. This could be a Matthew Hunt redesign in the future  ;)

Let me know when you have the Hunt Signature course at Kilkeel complete--I'll come play at once ;D

You could come and persude the members to murder #7 ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:53:38 AM by Matthew Hunt »

JESII

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2007, 11:17:10 AM »
Gib,

I enjoy reading your writng but if you use the 'big vagina small penis' line again I'm out...

Padraig and Matthew,

I actually believe what you say about the course. I could see it being an interesting parkland course with one or two "just accept it and move on" holes. My experience there was a bit surreal.

I flew into Dublin and drove straight up to Newcastle with a stop at Kilkeel for a practice round. So I worked my way around the course and didn't hate it...just thought those couple of holes were odd.

The surreal nature of this is after playing great at Royal COunty Down in the first round of medal play I was scheduled for a 2:40 tee time at Kilkeel the next day so it's a long wait. Well then there is a 20 hour fog delay over there in the morning so now my tee time is 4:30 or something crazy like that.

As you know there is no driving range and possibly no putting green (you tell me) and I had all day to sit around Newcastle and be nervous.

Add to this the fact that my parents had flown into Ireland the day before and my father was going to caddy for me at Kilkeel, but they went off sightseeing first thing in the morning and I hadn't seen them all day.

The rest of you should know that Kilkeel is 30 or 40 minutes from RCD, down around the other side of the mountain.

So I hit balls at RCD about 3 hours before my tee time and gradually make my way down to Kilkeel and sit on the wall behind the tee for about an hour just chomping at the bit to get out and play...but no sign of the caddy...

Finally time to go and I naturally can't decide which club to hit...in the practice round it was quite easy to hit a driver over the corner leaving a 7 iron the the par 5, but not so easy when you're this nervous. So I hit a 2 iron and hit a fat pull into the corner of the crap and the spotter down there signals back that I need to hit another ball.

Remember the Mike Tyson quote? "Everybody has a game plan...until they get hit..." Well that's how I felt...totally rattled and went through the first 7 holes 8 over par without a single good shot in the bunch.

When my half skulled, nearly shanked 7 iron got onto the 8th green and I two putted for par I thought I had made it through the woods and had a chance (thanks to a really good first round) to still make match play with a good back nine.

Then I pull my drive on #9 and, after hitting a tree (one of a hundred in there) it ends up in th emiddle of the 10th fairway. Dead to rights.

From there on I played the best golf of my life when you consider the circumstances...which were added to when, on the 16th tee the R&A official told us that it didn't matter that we couldn't see the landing area due to darkness, play was continuing.

The fog had returned and it was close to 9 at night as we played the last 3 holes...the most memorable round of my life probably, but not because of the course.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2007, 11:21:51 AM »
There are a lot of courses in Ireland built on a very low budget courses that weren't designed to be brilliant courses. They're for the community to enjoy in whatever capacity. If a rater gave them a bad score, they'd be confused as to why their course was even being rated.
John Marr(inan)

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2007, 11:34:27 AM »
JES, How did you get a driver over the trees on #1, The trees must have been smaller. All the members hit a 7 or 8 over the creek, but I always hook a driver around the corner.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:36:37 AM by Matthew Hunt »

JESII

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2007, 12:32:24 PM »
MH,

7 or 8 iron over the creek? From the back tee?

Maybe something has changed on the hole? We teed off right by the clubhouse there and when I say Driver over the corner...I'm not really talking about over the trees immediately next to the tee but rather the corner of the low trees and bushes down below. It seemed you could hit it that way with a bit of draw and have a mid-iron in or hit out safely to the right and go in from 230 or so...

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2007, 12:47:10 PM »
Well that would have been from the members tees not the Championships. It must of gron up heres how it looks now:
http://www.kilkeelgolfclub.org/Golf_VRTour_Java/1st_tee.htm

The Website http://www.kilkeelgolfclub.org is quite good and gives a course overview.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2007, 06:52:35 PM »
Is the Roxburghe bad, or simply an overdone CCFAD sort of place?

Jason

Mark Pearce

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2007, 06:24:08 AM »
I've only played it once, but I quite liked the Roxburghe.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2007, 04:58:21 PM »
Fair enough, Mark.  I thought Mark Rowlinson had given it a thumbs-down, but I could well have misremembered.

MargaretC

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2007, 06:01:42 PM »
Doug:

Possibly because I am an incurable romantic, I have yet to see a truly bad course in the British Isles.  Each course I've played has it's own personality and customs along with the "course regulars" -- each contribute so much to the experience.  I treasure the experiences of each trip.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2007, 08:04:28 PM »
Margaret

They're aren't too many, but they're around.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 02:54:13 PM by Padraig Dooley »
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

MargaretC

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2007, 08:51:18 PM »
Margaret

There aren't too many, but they're around.

With a name like Padraig Dooley, I'll accept your comment that a few exist, but as you also say, it's the journey, not the destination.  So maybe I have been on one of the few and the journey made it seem less so...

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2007, 02:53:40 PM »
Margaret

The one good thing they do is they make the great courses seem even greater.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2007, 03:55:24 PM »
I cannot believe Tom was treated badly and financially raped at RT, then returned for a second visit. The only way over priced unfriendly clubs will learn is when their budgets are miles out because visitors give them a wide berth.

If I'd been treated badly at the front door I would have cancelled my tee time and gone down to Prestwick or Prestwick StN and played where I was welcomed as a valued guest.
Cave Nil Vino

Brock Peyer

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2007, 04:12:37 PM »
I haven't read this whoel thread and I agree with Tom Doak that I doubt that there are any old bad courses but I am sure that there are some bad new ones.  The K Club didn't look great to me.  

Hopefully, someday I will get a chance to go over there and try to find some bad ones.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2007, 05:32:50 PM »
Brock - There are far too many decent courses to enjoy without looking for rubbish!

Most of the really poor courses are low budget farmland courses designed as cheap pay and plays to offer golf to the masses. They might not be beautiful but they fill a gap in the market for £15-£25 a round.

Suprisingly despite having less than a dozen truly private courses in the UK golf is still considered elitist!
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Christensen

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2007, 09:19:31 PM »
what Ranch is everyone referring too??  Is it the one in Mass in Southwick...I have never played there, but I heard it wasn't a bad upscale public.

Fortunately for me, my one and only trip to GB yielded only great courses.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back