News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Brian Brown

A place to start
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:19:48 AM »
  I am a novice at studying gca and looking for a few more books to help me understand history and concepts. Today I purchased "Grounds for Golf" by Geoff Shackelford and I am on vacation for the next 11 days so any other suggestions would be great.  Thank you in advance for the help.

Jason Topp

Re:A place to start
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 01:32:12 AM »
Brian:

Grounds for Golf is a terrific introduction to the subject as is Tom Doak's book - Anatomy of a golf course.

Many bookstores carry Volume 1 of "Golf Architecture - A Worldwide Perspective" by Paul Daley.  It is probably my favorite book on the subject.

Those 3 books would probably take care of your vacation.  If not, Daniel Wexler's third interview on this site contains a number of wonderful suggestions:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/interviewwexler3519.html

Ray Richard

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 06:29:21 AM »
I would add Cornish and Whitten -The Golf Course-as a great start.

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 07:45:33 AM »
Brian,

Get Geoff's Golden Age of Golf Design. It's a great place to start to realize while all the ODG'd (Old Dead Guys) are so revered around here.

The other I would add is the Evangalist of Golf by George Bahto. A fantastic book.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Pete Garvey

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 08:54:59 AM »
Every library on golf course architecture should have Bradley Klein's "Discovering Donald Ross, The Architect and His Golf Courses" within arms reach.

Also, I agree that you should read George Bahto's "The Evangelist of Golf, The story of Charles Blair MacDonald".

Happy reading!

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 09:52:19 AM »
Brian,

Anything by Geoff, Brad or Tom is a must. I will suggest over time that you acquire Thomas' Golf Architecture in America, probably the best book ever written on the subject. Hunter's Links is a close second along with MacKenzie's Spirit of St Andrews. Simpson's and Wethered's Architectural Side of Golf is also a cornerstone for a serious library. CHeck the Classics of Golf website for some of these titles. They alos carry our own Philip Young's work on Tillinghast which I enjoyed alot. Hre are a few other titles I would suggest.

British Golf Links- Horace Hutchinson

Scotland's Gift- CB Macdonald. I would also get Bahto's book on the man. Very well done.

Golf Courses of the British Isles- Darwin. More of a journey through the great courses in the UK. James Finegan's are also wonderful in their right and his Where courses are great is a fantastic addition.

Missing Links and Lost Links- Daniel Wexler. A must.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back