News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Two NLE's in Long Branch, NJ
« on: October 21, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
I was wondering if anyone might have info on two courses that used to exist in Long Branch, NJ.

One was at the Hollywood Hotel, on Cedar Avenue in the West End section of town. The hotel burned down in the late 1950's. The golf course there may have been closed well before that.

I believe the other course in town was called the Norwood course, but I could be wrong about that. I went to high school in Long Branch in the 1960's and the cross-country team used to run their races over the site of where that golf course used to be.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.      

David_Tepper

Re:Two NLE's in Long Branch, NJ
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 04:37:37 PM »
In digging around on the web, I came across a NY Times article from Aug. 22, 1897 describing a golf tournament won by W.J. Travis over Englishman W.G. Steward at the Norwood Field Club in Long Branch, NJ.

I also saw the Norwood Country Club in Long Branch on a list of courses designed by A. W. Tillinghast.

Any info anyone can offer on these courses would be appreciated. Thanks.

Craig Disher

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 05:07:55 PM »
David,
There are 2 aerials of a NLE golf course that was located just north of Wall St (rte 32) and west of Norwood Ave (rte 25). The 1940 aerial shows the course is open and functioning. The 2nd aerial from 1947 shows it nearly abandoned. Which course is this, Norwood FC or the one associated with the Hollywood Hotel?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 05:56:54 PM »
Craig & David,

Send me your email addresses and I'll send along a photograph of Tilly's original blueprints (yes, blueprints with white lines) for Norwood.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 06:12:10 PM »
Craig -

Are the aerials you refer to available online? If so, I would like to see them.

My guess is golf course seen on those aerials as you describe it is the Norwood course.

The Hollywood Hotel was located on Cedar Avenue (at the southern end of town) and I believe there was a golf course adjacent to the hotel at some point in the first half of last century. Cedar Avenue runs perpendicular to the ocean and the hotel was not much more than 1/2 mile from the ocean.

Thanks for the input!

DT  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back