News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Hilton Head suggestions
« on: October 16, 2007, 06:57:57 PM »
Some members from the club are going there and are looking to play something reasonably priced and fun.  They are willing to drive up to an hour.  I've only played the overpriced wonder, and a superb private that they would not be able to play at this time of year.

Greg Tallman

Re:Hilton Head suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 07:03:09 PM »
Try Old South for a entertaining course on a budget.

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:03:30 PM »
old south, Melrose on Daufuskie, Palmetto Dunes Fazio (George) or Arthur Hills course, Palmetto Hall,
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bart Bradley

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 07:09:15 PM »
Hilton Head National has 27 nice holes and is quite reasonably priced.  I have played there on 2 separate golf trips and the conditioning was excellent both times.  At Palmetto Dunes, the Hills course is by far the best, in my opinion.  Good luck.

Bart

KBanks

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 07:24:18 PM »
How far is Chechessee Creek from Hilton Head or, for that matter, Savannah?

Ken

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:18:40 PM »
Robert,
  Be careful with any courses this time of year conditions wont be very good from now until Thanksgiving because every course is overseeding right now, including us. The cheapest course in the area is Hilton Head National at $68. Old South is almost $80 now. Port Royal and Shipyard (which are awful) are now $98. Checheessee Creek is about 30  minutes from Hilton Head....and worth it, no more than 45 minutes from Savannah.

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Bart Bradley

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 08:18:56 PM »
How far is Chechessee Creek from Hilton Head or, for that matter, Savannah?

Ken

Its right near HHI but I think it is private.

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 08:21:01 PM »
One of my favorites in HH is Palmetto Hall's Cupp course.  I had played it before I really started to pay attention to architecture, but found the mix of holes memorable. The course is marketed by its geometric bunkers and pyramidal mounding.  However, I remember a very nice mix of holes, and a good amount of strategic golf.

In particular I remember a nice short par 4 which required a short carry over wetlands.  The carry looked much longer than it was because you could not see where the fairway began.  The further you hit the ball the more rumpled the fairway became. This stood out to me for some reason.

There are also a couple of very interesting greens.  My playing partner hated the more severe ones, but then again he hit to the wrong areas!

Some might find the course goofy, but I liked the change of pace, and the fact that I had to think about what I was doing.

Hilton Head National is fun and a very good value.  

Played the George Fazio as well and did not find it very memorable except for the fact I split my shorts, and they had birdie balls to hit.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
Robert,
   IMO, if you dont have access to the private course around Hilton Head, (Colleton River, Belfair, Berkeley Hall, Secession, Checheessee
Creek or Long Cove) and you dont want to pay an arm and a leg to play a wet, slow Harbor Town, there really isnt much to see here when it come to quality courses. I have heard mixed reviews about Pete Dye's new Heron Point at Sea Pines, but anything was better than was there. I like the work Dye did (our own Tim Liddy was there alot and they do have some cool stuff going on!) and the grasses they used, but other than that, go and enjoy the beach!

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Willie_Dow

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 09:24:45 AM »
For a simple round on a nine holer go to Spanish Wells.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back