News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

mark chalfant

Tamarack (Banks) in ct. !
« on: September 10, 2007, 11:33:43 AM »
Brian Silva's master plan has has been imlemented at this 1929 gem , some great holes now shine. The oprener is a bold 4  with  central bunker    in the landing z..   Five and # 17 are excellent par fives. Roller coaster  topography makes the 17th especially memorable. Jumbo sized Eden and Biarritz holes are also a joy to  play. some bunkers at  tamarack are  15+  feet deep !

Tom_Doak

Re:Tamarack (Banks) in ct. !
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 12:51:51 PM »
Mark:

Are you sure that was Brian Silva that did the work there?  I swear that is the course that Ron Forse told me about a few years ago, but I don't know if he had been hired to consult there or not.

I've never seen it and I grew up not far away ... it is anything but well-known.  Any idea why?

mark chalfant

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 01:32:06 PM »
Tom:

I am pretty sure that Brian Silva did the work recently, I think the club's website mentions this. As far as its lack of notoreity, I think it gets overshadowed by Round Hill (great Travis), Stanwich Club is greatly improved per 2006 tree removal ( S is tougher than Tamarack and 7,500 yds), and Whippoorwill (nearby Banks gem on more dramatic and bucolic land). Also it's near the county airport, and to me feels less Brooks Brothers/ Paul Stuart than many neighboring clubs.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 10:27:33 PM by mark chalfant »

Jeff Loh

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 06:32:38 PM »
yes it definately was silva. i have a friend who is a member and he gave me a copy of the master plan. really love the changes,esp the reclaiming of so many of the greens. truly a hidden gem. but they should have gotten rid of the net that borders the 10th fairway. a little cheesy to say the least.
the 'rack will always be overshadowed by the more "blue blood" courses in greenwich. lots of working class members. in the old days it was where you went if you couldn't get into stanwich, greenwich cc, or round hill. i think it is right up there with round hill and a lot more FUN to play than Stanwich (a slog)

JimFatsi

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 03:44:28 PM »
Off all the courses is Greenwich CT, Tamarack was not known to be as "great" as Stanwich or Round Hill, but after restoration it may have moved into the same catagory as "top" courses in Greenwich. It has some strong company, within a few miles is Blind Brook, Century, Whipporwill. The others being Fairview, Greenwich CC and Burning Tree. I have played them all - my ranking of the top three would be 1) Round Hill (Travis, RT Jones, Ken Dye ) Tied for 1st - Tamarack (Banks), and 3) Stanwich (Gordon, Fazio).

SPDB

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 04:37:55 PM »
Mark:
Was there extensive bunker work? If so, can you detail what the shaping looks like?

Owe you a call, I apologize, been chaotic here.

corey miller

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 07:03:45 PM »

Jeff Loh

You must collect master plans ;D.  Happily, you are in possesion of one that never went down.  How do you rank the Greenwich courses as well as the nearby Purchase ones.  With no regard to where you get a comped round. ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back