News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Optimum Tree management--The Bridge
« on: October 08, 2007, 07:51:02 PM »
Though some people will pan this course simply because of the architect on record, it is very much a work in progress.  And this progress is very good.  They have cut down several thousand trees and there will be more to come from what I was told last week. When you have Shinny and National in the neighborhood, it is very difficult to get much acclaim.  That being said, I think that the potential to become a great course exists.  Displayed are pictures from the clubhouse showing areas that were once completely forrested.

Michael Dugger

Re:Optimum Tree management--The Bridge
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 12:18:26 PM »
I always wonder why so shortly after a new course opens is additional work being performed on it?

It just doesn't make sense....

First there was the complete "do over" of the Atlantic bunkers

now this......  

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 01:19:51 PM »
Michael,
While I agree with your initial respone -that why would a new course make changes?
The tree management however,was always part of the master plan. A new course can't do everything simultaneously the day they open though. I'm sure Sebonack will look considerably different in 3-5 years, as does Friar's Head.(best it's ever looked IMHO)

The golf course itself has been architecturally untouched (except for one cross bunker on the second shot on the par 5 ninth), although the aesthetics have been incredibly enhanced.
I didn't initially comment on Robert's pictures because they are a bit hard to make out and are a bit misleading.
The first picture shows an area where there were never trees and all but the last picture are quite hard to make out.

From looking at Robert's pictures one would think fescue(the defacto "golf course in a can" look) had been planted in areas of tree thinning, which is not the case.
The fescue you see is from Rees' initial use of it to cover scarred areas where the race track and pits once ran.
In Robert's defense he was fighting failing light and took those pictures from the clubhouse

Those who played it in the treelined early days would be shocked to see areas  where stunning plantlife to include low bush blueberries, heather, bluestem, bayberry,low mountain laurel ,cactus and other stunning groundcover were merely uncovered from years of unmanaged forest overgrowth which was choking out the sunlight for all but the tallest of trees.

The Bridge has some of the most unique land and groundcover that I've seen in The Hamptons-we've merely uncovered it to reveal striking contrast to what in my opinion was a too green and unvaried enviroment.
The result is one of the most varied and visually stunning natural surrounds of a course I've seen. (I'm talking about the unturfed area of the golf course)
Standing on the 5th green and 6th fairway is one of the most stunning nonwater views in golf. (and in my opinion much better than the much acclaimed water view from the 5th tee)
The wildlife and the Audobon society certainly love it and it's not uncommon in a round to see dozens of wild turkeys as well as the usual suspects such as rabbits,deer, birds, and foxes.

Additionally, now that the trees have been thinned and you can see through them, you can see the rolling hills and mounds IN THE WOODS that match the landscape and tie in to the rolling, mounded rough. Prior to uncoverig this rolling topography I would've guessed many of the mounds on the perimeter of the golf course were disguised 1/2 sided fakes (as Pete Dye diid so brilliantly in transforming the Long Cove landscape -before many of the pines died which revealed his secret)

While I would've liked to have seen of this rolling topogrophy continue into the fairway without so much grading and shaping, that's not the way Rees operates.
However, with the clearing and thinning I have a much better appreciation of the the tie ins to the topography and it looks far better and more natural than it did before.
Those who in the past commented on the mounds at The Bridge, need merely look 50 yards into the woods at the multiple natural untouched mounds covered in native blueberry,heather, and bayberry.

The other thing the trimming has done is reduce a lot of the walks from green to tee, which are still quite challenging (but several tees will be reconfigured to ease the walk further)

I don't really want to discuss the architecture of The Bridge as it's been covered ad nauseum here (some of it justified some of it not)but I did feel compelled to set the record straight for Michael.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 05:07:35 PM »
Fair enough.

I can "get with it" if the additional tree removal was always part of the master plan.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 08:28:17 PM »
Because I was in a tournament, it was not really possible to film while trying to score without holding up the field.  I was hoping that the pictures would show some of the contours that Jeff has pointed out.  By coincidence, I just got off the phone with a buddy who thought that he had really missed something the first time he played the course.  He really thinks that it is a great course.  The clearing of the trees had a lot to do with his opinion.  He thought that the 6th hole was the best on the course.  Jeff is most qualfied to comment, but this hole might have experienced the most dramatic change with the tree clearance--I really do think that it is a great hole.  As a not-really-a-Rees fan, I think he does deserve credit for an ability to build excellent strategic holes.  And over the years, I think that this will be considered a great course.  Incidentally, I know of a couple great courses that have been tinkered with since they opened in the last couple of years--opening day does not mean that a course has to be finished (period).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back