News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Sobieski

Re:Duval and Hart granted 'family crisis' extension
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2007, 01:27:50 PM »

The Tour's job is to make money for the members.  

A.G.:

Thank you. I've been trying to say that all along. It's essentially a trade organization that tries to maximize the playing and financial opportunities for those fortunate enough to be a member. For them to do something that negatively impacted a member going through a crisis would be truly surprising.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2007, 01:40:15 PM »
A.G....or it may be that the members of the tour policy board figure they too may need such an exemption someday...or it may be they have had more than these two guys seek this type of exemption and felt the need to address it sooner rather than later?

Craig,
Yes on all counts.  That would be part of "best interests of the business", broadly defined.  The point is that the players themselves decided this.  They must have thought that it was in their best interests, NOT just Duval's and/or Hart's.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2007, 02:32:51 PM »
Actually, if you think about it for a second, Tiger and Phil are so filthy rich, they could afford to have a mobile maternity ward set up in their airplanes.

I don't see either of them using a midwife at home, so what is the difference?

All of this weepy, family values claptrap misses the point completely. Most of these Tour boys spend the majority of their time on the road, coming home only often enough to knock-up their Baywatch clone and ask the nanny if junior flunked out of school.

I wish I could take weeks and weeks off to go snowboarding like Duval used to do. He rode the gravy train for long enough to amass a gigantic amount of scratch, so whether he has to go re-qualify at Tour School, get sponsors exemptions, lose fifty pounds, gain fifty pounds or finds a job picking the range at his local muni . . . . . matters not.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:35:34 PM by Gib Papazian »

Phil McDade

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2007, 02:56:01 PM »
Phil, the Casey Martin issue was about a governing body being allowed to make its own rules, imho, not whether or not he had a right to a cart.

And, again, these guys are independent contractors, and the Tour has a responsibility to them as well (it's a 2 way relationship), in addition to trying to put out the most attractive entertainment option possible. They are NOT employees of the PGA Tour.

All the PGA Tour is saying is that some guys may have been exempt, but haven't been able to take advantage of that exemption due to personal reasons. If you want to argue they are taking someone else's spot, then they are most definitely GIVING someone a spot this year (or the year of their personal crisis).

To argue that the PGA Tour is not allowed to work in what it believes are its own best interest here is to directly contradict your stance on the Casey Martin issue, imho.

George:

I actually think the two are related, if not legally, then in the sense that the Martin decision by the PGA influenced its Duval/Hart decision (all speculation on my part, obviously).

I'm no lawyer, but I recall the Martin decision being essentially about Martin's desire to use a cart running up against the PGA rule on no carts. His lawsuit against the PGA was based largely on ADA grounds. He had been told (by the PGA) he couldn't use a cart in the Q-school finals, and won a court order allowing him to use it there. He subsequently won a Nationwide/Nike/Hooters tour event (I forget who the sponsor was at the time, but it was today's Nationwide tour) using a cart. That, and his qualifying for the Open at Olympic (he qualified at a pretty hilly course in Cincinnati in the middle of summer, using a cart), was what prompted much of the tour debate about his use of the cart. He eventually got the US Supreme Court to agree that access to his livelihood -- golfing -- and his documented disability allowed the use of a cart, and thus his claim under the ADA trumped the PGA's rules.

I think the PGA was correct to try to enforce its no-cart rule with Casey, but I also think it came off looking pretty bad in the process. Finchem in particular came off as pretty heartless. Did that inform the tour's decision on the Duval/Hart exemptions? One wonders. (Clarifying question: Can Finchem overturn tour policy board decisions?)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:56:28 PM by Phil McDade »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2007, 03:15:37 PM »
The major problem with this new exemption is that the tour is performance based.  I'm not sure about Dudley Hart--he has had some injuries in recent years, but Duval is pulling his usual crock--the guy has been on a 5 year vacation.  These exemptions are not about sponsorship--if these players are so popular,then sponsors will accomodate them like they have Daly this year.  I have a very, very close friend who tore his rotator cuff in the 2001 Open and it finally wore out  in 2005.  He missed all of 2006 from the surgery and rehab and did not get a major medical for this past year.  In fact, he was not even eligable for the Nationwide demotion conditional--which is when you play the tour the previous year and have conditional status above Tour Q school conditionals until the first condtional card reshuffle.  I would have to say that the tour is travelling down a slipppery slope. Also, the FedEx Cup has significantly reduced opportunites for Q School qualifiers to get into tournaments.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2007, 03:29:20 PM »
Don't know if this is strictly relevant, but the Casey Martin argument reminded me to look and see what I thought at the time. . . . .

PLEASE FORWARD TO GLENN REEVES AND ANG SPORTS. THIS IS A GOLF COLUMN FOR THE TUESDAY SAN MATEO TIMES.
by Gib Papazian

It was last Saturday afternoon and your faithful scribe was seated at the local 19th hole with the usual cast of cranks, naysayers and curmudgeons.  It was too early for the Sony Open, so our dutiful bartender switched on the inauguration.

Perhaps in part due to our new president’s well known lineage (his great-grandfather is the Walker in Walker Cup), this spawned a surprisingly rational and respectful discussion on taxes, abortion rights and race relations in America.

Being bi-partisan golfers, we politely agreed to disagree, noting that anyone who came from a family of USGA Presidents couldn’t be too bad - at least this president wasn’t likely to be a golf cheat.

The trouble started when the wet blanket who haunts the end of the bar brought up the single most divisive subject facing America today. That’s right, in a time of hopeful renewal and celebration (or protest depending on who you ask), he had to mention Casey Martin.

The cause du célèbre of the national press is back in the headlines. It has been more than three years that the courts have grappled - and America has debated - this uncomfortable subject with no resolution. Supposedly, we will soon come to the end of these endless legal machinations, but truly contentious issues like this tend to precipitate endless appeals.  

Regardless of which side of the issue you are on, this series of court cases has revived the age old debate on how far government can intrude on the rights of private organizations. Specifically the use or misuse of well-intentioned laws out of their original context to advance some social or politically correct agenda.  

In some measure, it mirrors the same national epoch brought on by Hal Thompson’s ill advised public comments at Shoal Creek. Only this time, the villain held up for derision by the non-golfing media is not an ignorant and senile racist in the Deep South, but the very organizations that govern our game.

One radio pundit, on our local sports station, hinted darkly last week that the PGA’s “Caucasian Only” clause of the early 1960's invalidated the Tour’s  right to uphold their decision on the Casey Martin case. A bizarre linking of issues, but a good example of the vitriolic and irrational passions this debate has ignited.  

Granted, Tim Finchem and the PGA Tour are not sympathetic characters, but both the PGA and United States Golf Association carry a long history of support for both under privileged children and handicapped golf.

The primary distinction is that this debate isn’t about minor competitions, this is about the game of golf on its highest levels. Walking one round of golf is not taxing for sure, but competitive golf - especially on the amateur level - is not always confined to 18 holes. To suggest that the ability to walk 36 holes in competition under stifling pressure is not part of the game is patently ridiculous.

The one fundamental rule we cling to tenaciously is the notion that everyone adheres to the same rules. Regardless of how sorry you feel for Martin’s plight, his legal pleas clearly marginalize that concept.

Yet, can golf’s governing bodies demonstrate in court that his golf cart measurably affects tournament  outcomes?    

Casey Martin’s first victory on the Nike Tour was achieved when many of his closest competitors had to slog through two rounds in miserable weather due to a rain delay. Should we affix an asterisk to that victory? Certainly not, but it still begs a question.        

It also recalls an ironic pairing during the 1998 U.S. Open at Olympic. There was Casey Martin, motoring down the fairway on his modified cart, playing with a walking Jose Maria Olazabal. Quite a juxtaposition for those paying attention.

It is worth recalling because Olazabal was unable to walk for over a year due to a debilitating foot ailment. He was told by doctors he may never walk a golf course again and was confined only to hitting a few balls.
     When asked if he would petition to take a cart, his answer was short and to the point: “Golf is a walking game,” he said. Maybe this is a symbolic dividing line between American and European golfing cultures.

Across the pond, “buggies,” as our golf carts are derisively called, are viewed as an American oddity that erodes the basic social fabric of the game.  Here, we have become so accustomed to these mechanical prosthesis, that hardly anyone remembers golf carts were originally meant only to help arthritic golfers.

And because carts are so common in America, it is easy to see how a sympathetic judge could render an incredibly elastic interpretation of the American Disabilities Act.  The PGA Tour did not help its case by allowing carts on the Senior Tour.

But this judicial activism - and let’s be honest, golf is an easy game to pick on - has also given rise to some silly lawsuits. In Southern California last year, a bored attorney filed a class action suit in court, demanding bunkers be re-built on all public courses to accommodate wheelchairs.            

The rhetoric seems to have escalated to even less circumspect and more righteous and inflammatory rhetoric. So what is the right answer? What is to be done?

In the view of your faithful scribe, the time for golf’s governing bodies to fight this battle is long past; the genie is out of the bottle. The old parental adage has never been truer: you can say “no” a thousand times, but the utterance of a single “yes” in a weak moment wipes the slate clean.

Besides, it is difficult to imagine the PGA Tour taking such a hard line if, for instance, Tiger Woods developed a serious problem. He is their meal ticket and the key to enormous television revenues.

Tiger would be carried around the course by scantily clad harem girls in the manner of a sultan if he demanded it - and Tim Finchem would lead the way. I know it, Finchem knows it and Tiger knows it too.

Like it or not, some golfers are more equal than others in the eyes of the PGA Tour.  While the U.S.G.A. has historically stuck to their core principles regardless of financial considerations or legal consequences, they still allot all sorts of “special exemptions.”  Remember Hale Irwin in 1990?

Golf’s governing bodies would be well advised to grant a one-time “special exemption” to Casey Martin and simply be done with it. His plight is proving a distraction to addressing far larger threats to the integrity of the game. Ely Calloway’s threats of litigation have far more chilling consequences than one man on a golf cart.

Besides, this is not an entirely unique situation. According to golf historian Bob Huntley, “in the mid to late 19th century, a disabled former Captain of the R&A was permitted to traverse the course during a Medal round . . .  on a pony!”      

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back