News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

1999 article on Sand Hills
« on: September 26, 2007, 02:15:14 PM »
Did some more cleaning last night and came across this.

Enjoy.

Envy.

Discuss.

:)

Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

Re:1999 article on Sand Hills
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »
P.S. I'd love to hear from others how things may have changed since the article was written.

I'll try to meld some of those photos together and post them separately on my site.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Norbert P

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 02:26:21 PM »
The most important information in that article is "...milemarker 55 . . ."  

Adam!  Do you remember our dialogue about awareness ?

Thanks George.  Timeless.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 03:07:41 PM »
As I've recounted on here and the old discussion board about the time Diaz wrote this in 1999; I first made this pilgrimage up into the Sand Hills from North Platte up into Mullen in either late '95 or '96.  I had all the same feelings that Diaz describes; the realization there were no more cars - just a few cowboys in pickups and horse trailers, and finally a delay for a cattle drive up the road, crossing the ravine over the appropriately named "Dismal" and nearly loosing it on many curves because I was doing so much "drive by golf course design" seeing the endless corridors and possibilities.  I wrote the very same analogy on the old DG about the strange mesmerizing and irresistable drawing into the unknown obscession of the landforms that I felt was like "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"  (I wonder if I should believe that using that analogy was coincidence, serendipity or what)

After driving past all the way to Mullen and having to ask a person in the diner -and getting a strange look back from them and an almost reluctant redirection back to the nearly unmarked drive-in road, I sensed the issue that I had read in the article, prewarned that not all the ranchers were yet down with the idea of a high fallutin golf course in their cattle kingdom.  I was bold enough and fortunate enough to still belong to the GCSAA as an affiliate, and drove into the maintenance shed and showed the fellow (Cory Crandell) my card and told him my story that I was compelled to come have a look after reading the article in GCM.  Cory was very kind and welcoming to both take me on a tour and then allow me to go out on the course on my own for a while.  

Sometimes I think we hardcore write and talk about Sand Hills so much, that we begin to fool ourselves into thinking it was always there as if it were a century old classic and seminal golf course design and idea.  It is barely more than a decade old!  

That first time, all alone, following a rumor or hint of something new had happened in the Sand Hills (from an article in Golf Course Magazine in about June 95) and just following my instinct, was one of my all time greatest experiences and journey of discovery in pursuing my interest/hobby in golf course design, construction and maintenance.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 03:09:21 PM »
I'm struck by the two mentions of the ball being significantly affected by the wind on the greens.  I'm not a big fan of that, under normal conditions.  Are the greens too undulating and/or kept too fast?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 03:19:15 PM »
George - thanks much for this. Jaime Diaz, now there's a golf writer who is never less than very good, and often excellent. You believe that he believes/means every word he writes, yet the result is neither diary nor treatise.

RJ - really good post. Thanks.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 06:28:12 PM by Peter Pallotta »

ed_getka

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 03:32:23 PM »
Matt,
   I don't know if the course played like that it 1999, but Diaz was seriously exagerrating the effect of the wind of the ball on the greens. The greens are super fast, or at least they were the times I've been there, but I've never had to consider the wind more than the contour in figuring out a putt. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I'm sure it can when the wind is screaming, but it is NOT the norm.
   I have seen guys lose their putting strokes while there on one occasion where I felt the greens were rolling too fast. 5 foot putts that seemed perfectly struck would end up rolling out 10 feet if they missed the hole. At those speeds putts become defensive and twitchy and detract slightly from the experience.
   Having said all that, Diaz, in spite of his hyperbole, captured many of the qualities that make the course and the experience one of the greatest in golf. Sand Hills is my favorite course and I've seen a few decent ones over the years.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:34:54 AM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mark_F

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 06:24:17 PM »
Very poetic article, George.

You should clean more often. :)

Matt MacIver

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 08:48:50 AM »
Matt,
   I don't know if the course played like that it 1999, but Diaz was seriously exagerrating the effect of the wind of the ball on the greens. The greens are super fast, or at least they were the times I've been there, but I've never had to consider the wind more than the contour in figuring out a putt. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I'm sure it can when the wind is screaming, but it is NOT the norm.
   I have seen guys lose their putting strokes while there on one occasion where I felt the greens were rolling too fast. 5 foot putts that seemed perfectly struck would end up rolling out 10 feet if they missed the hole. At those speeds putts become defensive and twitchy and detract slightly from the experience.
   Having said all that Diaz, in spite of his hyperbole, captured many of the qualities that make the course and the experience one of the greatest in golf. Sand Hills is my favorite course and I've seen a few decent ones over the years.

Thanks Ed, that make ssnse.  From what I've read here and heard of the place I figured that was the answer -- he must have saw it on a VERY blustery day.  

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 09:18:04 AM »
Matt, When the wind really blows, and it's blowing this season, the greens are the way it was re-counted. What happens is that the greens dry out so fast that they become lightening very quickly.
Corey has told stories about some competition held there years ago where the greens were rolling somewhere near the 15 number. When the wind started to blow, he started to really sweat it. Also, a friend played there the other day and said they were unputtable. He's no gca afficionado, so I discount his account but he did say all they had to do was breath on the ball.

Geo, Just from the picture of 17, it looks to me like the front left bunker on 17 is a much deeper bunker today. Considering it's orientation, it is no surprise.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back