News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Re:If you were going to TNT one hole into oblivion...
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 10:49:04 PM »
11th at Harbour Point.

Those whove played it know what I mean.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 08:22:54 AM »
Tattersall, or Broad Run Golfers Club, as it's known now -  #2 (Rees Jones - PA).  

Par 4 - first shot is a 5 or 6 iron.  Second shot is a 5 wood.  Really dumb hole.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 09:42:13 AM »
The sixth hole at a local public course called Raccoon Creek (Dick Phelps) needs to be blown up, although whoever does the deed will need to wear protective gear to avoid being pulped by all the balls I've lost there.

Yeah, it's personal.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 09:42:39 AM by Kirk Gill »
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Mark Pearce

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2007, 01:14:28 PM »
The eleventh at The Northumberland.  17 good, solid Colt holes and a redesigned blight stuck in the middle of them.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2007, 11:02:23 PM »
In PA, Country Club of The Poconos AT Big Ridge...

All 18 holes.  Except that the only way to blow them all up is with nuclear weapons as the course is spread out over 12 freaking miles.

I kid you not.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2007, 11:22:37 PM »
Fazio already did this to the 8th at Pronghorn, but doubt it's on your tack. He did make the hole perfect by sandblasting the exposed lava to give it an aged/exposed look.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2007, 11:23:12 PM »
In PA, Country Club of The Poconos AT Big Ridge...

All 18 holes.  Except that the only way to blow them all up is with nuclear weapons as the course is spread out over 12 freaking miles.

I kid you not.

Holy Crap!

That just occured to me that the walk I took today was 7.5 miles and that was a big golf course....sounds like a wee little routing problem to me...

JNC Lyon

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2007, 12:18:32 AM »
15 on the east course of Oak Hill Country Club.  What a bad par three.

16 on the west course of Oak Hill Country Club, but just to take out a few trees. They are actually planning to take out most of the trees that are compulsory carries off the tee, but there is one big tree in particular that is really bad.  Guess what is the ONE tree they want to leave in.  Yep, thought so.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Jim Johnson

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2007, 01:34:17 AM »
Easy Kalen.

A par-5 hole of some 537 yards from the tips, 522 from the back middle, slightly uphill, narrow, with a blind approach and a fallaway green. It's on a local course called Deer Valley Golf & Estates.

The image captured from Google Earth below shows the hole stretching from the bottom right to the top left. Oh yeah, did I mention the cart path in the landing zone just short of the green? Or that most of the fairway is 16 yards wide?

I've played this hole numerous times, and some of my best scores on it have been from playing 7 iron, 7 iron, 7 iron, putt, putt.

JJ

Matthew Rose

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2007, 06:59:04 AM »
I was just in Denver and have two nominations.

My folks just moved to Colorado and live on Lone Tree Golf Club. I played the course half a dozen times.

This is an old Arnold Palmer course that opened in the 80s as a private club and is now public.

My first is the 12th hole - Par 4, about 400 yards from the tips, dead straight. The last 120 or so are completely over water and there is absolutely no bailout anywhere. The green sits hard on the water's edge on 2 1/2 sides.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lone+tree+CO&ie=UTF8&ll=39.534266,-104.886099&spn=0.004568,0.007446&t=k&z=17&om=1

(paste entire link)

The fairway stops about 260 off the tee, taking driver out of your hands. At the end of the fairway is a gravel cart path, then a steep slope down into the lake. There is also out of bounds down the entire left side of the hole.

On top of everything else, it's usually against the wind. Get caught behind a foursome of 25 handicappers and you won't finish before dark.

My second nomination would be the 6th hole on one of the nines at John F Kennedy, which is a 27-hole muni in Denver proper that runs along I-225.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lone+tree+CO&ie=UTF8&ll=39.653218,-104.858633&spn=0.00456,0.007446&t=k&z=17&om=1

(paste entire link)

This is a par-four of about 450 yards, but the fairway stops 220 yards from the tee for a 100-yard wide gulch. The second fairway requires at least 320 yards to carry and it is about 20 yards wide at that point, with out of bounds left (I-225 parallels it) and trees right. There's also a tree which overhangs the landing area of your tee shot.

I played with my older brother, a scratch player, and he had to hit 4-iron, 3-wood. I'm a 5 handicap and I hit 3-wood, 3-wood. We concluded there was no other way to play the hole.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 08:03:41 AM by Matt Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2007, 02:24:05 PM »
For starters -- the par-3 5th at Fossil Trace in Golden, CO. Architect Jim Engh generally does a superlative job with one-shot holes.

This is far from one of them -- no matter what Doug Wright says to counter that. ;D

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2007, 06:27:43 PM »
Adding to my commentary on the WALKABILITY thread - I choose to TNT the cart barn.
 ;)
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2007, 01:35:02 AM »
You've all missed the obvious choice.

The 12th at GCGC

Mike Hendren

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2007, 09:37:21 AM »
I gotta go with the 6th at Norman's Sharks Tooth in the Florida Panhandle.  I thought this course might be top 100 modern after five holes.  Unfortunately, it never recovers from the horrid 6th.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2007, 06:03:56 PM »
Can I claim the blasphemy prize and nominate the 14th at Augusta?

I just find it the most 'nothing' hole on the back nine - no trademark like the pond at 16, the mid-fairway bunker at 10 or Ike's tree on 17.

If we get a say as to where the dynamite actually goes, I'd blast the approach to the green and make a Pine Valley wasteland that's nearly all carry.

I'll get my coat now, shall I...?

Doug Ralston

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2007, 06:58:56 PM »
#15 at Victoria National ........ just something personal.

Doug

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2007, 08:23:29 PM »
Mike H. -

I agree 100% about #6 at Sharks Tooth.  I don't necessarily agree that the course fell to pieces after that hole, in fact, it rebounded nicely at #7.  At best #6 is somewhere between silly and unplayable.  The course graphic doesn't do it justice.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2007, 11:39:21 PM »
14 at ANGC has the trademark of the coolest green on the course, but the hole would benefit from the restoration of the original 80 yard-long fairway bunker down the right side.  I will, however, allow you to TNT the 17th, a hole that reminds of a something out of a muni, even the interesting (and non-original) green doesn't save it.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Rich Goodale

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2007, 04:16:53 AM »
Good call re: Golspie, Sean.  The fact that they have messed up a perfectly good 1st since I was last there (tee used to be where the "practice area" now is) just adds to the frustration with the medicority of 14 and 15.  As I think David T. has said before, there's some absolutley great golfing gound out at the end of the property which is now being under/mis-utilized.  Outside of 1 (now) 14 and 15 it is a really enjoyable course with some great holes, but I am not hopeful that it will be improved, as Golspie as a club seems to lack conviction, and unable or unwilling to capitalize on it's charmed position between Dornoch and Brora.

I hope I am wrong.

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2007, 04:19:28 AM »
To JNC Lyon:

I know what you mean about 17, which would be my second choice for demolition on the back nine, but for Ike's tree, the fact that it always seems so hard to birdie, and that iconic image of Jack Nicklaus in 1986 raising his arm as his own birdie attempt dropped.

The 14th just doesn't seem to have acquired this kind of lore; I think that's my problem with it. I'm normally quite partial to bunkerless holes.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2007, 05:44:20 AM »
Yes, Sean, but you are putting the heart before the course.

If you want to attract visitors, choppping off two holes without having replacements ready to go is not likely to be a successful marketing strategy in this 18-hole-fixated golfing world we live in.......

Rich

peter_mcknight

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2007, 02:55:37 PM »
Hole 18 on Saucon Valley CC Old Course.  Completely eliminate what currently exists and restore it back to its original intent, which was a bunkerless facsimile of The Old Course's 18th, just slightly uphill.  The flat bottom fairway completely destroys the original intent and makes it so, so much easier to play.

Also would do the same for Weyhill original routing 6 and 14, except, in those cases, just begin anew because the originals are just plain bad.

Others to add:
Spanish Bay 8
Industry Hills Babe 9
Industry Hills Ike 17
Santa Ana 1 11 18
Coto de Caza North 6 9 10, part of 18
The pond in front of Torrey Pines South 18

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back