News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

A new term in GCA
« on: August 30, 2007, 05:22:02 PM »
I think I know what was intended, but there's a fascinating bit of marketing speak in the latest Links magazine.

On page 38, in a short note titled "Taking Wing," there's this:

Tom Fazio has "re-perfected" his 36 holes at Pelican Hill Golf Club, distinguished by the beautiful ocean views and dramatic bunkering....."

Re-perfected. How does that compare to re-novated or re-stored?

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Brad Klein

Re:A new term in GCA
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 06:07:56 PM »
"In a world dominated by relativism . . . . ," the newspeak about Pelican Hill is refeshing.

Tom Yost

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 06:12:25 PM »
Tom Fazio has "re-perfected" his 36 holes at Pelican Hill Golf Club, distinguished by the beautiful ocean views and dramatic bunkering....."

While it was perfect before, apparently it needed to be "re-perfected."   ???

Tom

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 06:26:59 PM »
I happened to see Pelican Hill the day before its grand opening.  The pro was an acquaintance so he gave me and my wife a cart to take a ride around the place.

On about the eighth hole my wife (now ex) suddenly exclaimed, "Oh my God!  They put a pine cone under every pine tree!"  Sure enough, they'd gone out there and placed a bunch of pine cones beside the planted pines, many of which were landscape beds near cart paths.  It was perfect.

So, maybe they've just cleaned up the scattered pine cones and placed new ones.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 06:29:37 PM »
Thanks K,

I LOL at that one.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 09:47:23 PM »
The term is pure, and I mean pure as the driven snow,Orange County hyperbole, almost as if it was being written out of the offices of Orange County Golf Ragazine.

Tom, I believe you on the pine cone story. It's as almost as perfect as opening up Tom Fazio's locker at Shadow Creek--which I did--and seen a new Pelican Hill hat, but obviously washed several times to make it look like it had been used and a roll of plans for Wade Hampton, like, "Hey, I have these plans I'm working on here in the Shadow Creek clubhouse for Wade Hampton and I mean I've really been working hard on them, but I want to leave them here--even though I'm  home, 3000 miles away at in North Carolina.....not too far away from Wade Hampton...."

Sickening what some people will do for a gasp!

I can hardly wait for Pelican Hill to open so I can start guiding people somewhere between Carlsbad and LAX.....

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 09:49:55 PM by Tommy Naccarato »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 09:49:12 PM »
A famous golf writer also told me I blew it at Shadow Creek, that I should have left a half-eaten chili dog in that locker.

It was just another missed opportunity of mine--a huge one. One of those ones you wished you had another chance at someday.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 10:23:16 PM »
So, maybe they've just cleaned up the scattered pine cones and placed new ones.

Yeah, those things tend to wear down a bit, especially in a windy, salt-air clime.

My mom used to work at a Christmas tree factory where they made artificial ones.  If only she knew, we could have made a killing on the Fazio black market.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 11:59:08 PM »
A new term for Golfclubatlas....Private Locker.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 12:04:32 AM »
Hey Asshole,

Not when it was told by the lockeroom staff that I could use any locker in that row I wanted--Adam Clayman and Gib as my witnesses.

BTW, this is a PUI post

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 12:16:43 PM »
Reading this quote with the term "re-perfected", brought to mind the following William Shawn quote I heard on today's Writer's Almanac:

Four days before he died, Shawn had lunch with Lillian Ross, and she showed him a book cover blurb she had written and asked if he would check it. She later wrote of that day, "He took out the mechanical pencil he always carried in his inside jacket pocket, and ... made his characteristically neat proofreading marks on a sentence that said 'the book remains as fresh and unique as ever.' He changed it to read, 'remains unique and as fresh as ever.' 'There are no degrees of uniqueness,' Mr. Shawn said politely."

“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back