News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Re:Teacher's Pet
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 12:58:24 PM »
He thought Cypress Point and not Pasa was his masterpiece, even though he spent more personal time on the latter, and I believe its greens are wilder as a direct result of his on-site time.  He would be bothered by the changes in the landscape on holes 6-8 today.
I was thinking Pasa since he spent more time there and, at least from what I glean from his writings, it seems that he tinkered there more.  That defines how you define teacher's pet - it doesn't necessarily have to be the best student.

Mark_F

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 05:42:23 PM »
I pride myself on getting things right during construction so that we don't have to keep going back and doing the little detail work.

I don't see how getting things right during construction necessarily means you wouldn't have to keep going back.

Until a course has been played quite a lot, and in varying conditions, surely there will always be some fiddling involved - perhaps a tee over there is more interesting than the one back here, this green doesn't work quite as well as it could, that bunker is never in play etc.

Not too mention new ideas that occur with the passage of time and experience.

wsmorrison

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 06:33:23 PM »
Certainly, as Mike Cirba said, Flynn worked on Lancaster and Merion for more than 25 years each.  He gave a lot of his efforts to these two courses.  He also worked on Cascades for many years.  He and his wife loved vacationing at the Homestead--it was a very special place for them. His efforts to improve that golf course over 10 years or so were significant.  I think Flynn cared very much for the Philadelphia courses.  He lived in the area and his friends were members of his clubs.  I know from Flynn's daughter that he was very fond of Philadelphia Country Club.  He improved the course greatly, especially prior to the 1939 Open.  I believe some of the work that was credited to Maxwell was really Maxwell implementing Flynn's plans...without question that was the case of the current 10th hole.  

Yet, Flynn would have well understood the significance of Shinnecock Hills and more than likely knew that was his undisputed masterpiece.  Too bad so few over the years knew what was Flynn (all of it) and what role Dick Wilson played (zero design) and Howard Toomey (never did any design work though is often given co-billing).

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 09:50:42 PM »
Although it is in the West, I feel Flynn's masterful work at Quartzite, AZ is among the most beloved of Flynn west-of-the-Miss. work.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back