News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Clouser

Jay,

I will try and post a couple of pictures tonight showing how the greensite was originally versus today.  

The saddle is mainly because the bunker wall has been built up over time.  Originally, that did not exist.  From what I could tell the green actually ran towards the back of the green and towards the bunker.  

The shoulders in the fairway were there from the beginning and they provide a nice feature, but they would be similar to Alps bunkering that was often combined with a Punchbowl green by Macdonald and Raynor.  I think Maxwell emulated that from a visit to the St. Louis Country Club and seeing the 5th hole on that course.  But I don't believe there were ever any bunkers in the face of the knolls as one would typically find in that combination.

A Knoll hole would actually involve a raised green that was with perhaps some bunkering protecting the front entrance to the hole.  It was typically a drive and pitch style hole.  The excellent interveiw with George Bahto from December 99 talks about this in much better detail and a great photo of one exists in the Piping Rock course write-up.

Jay Flemma

You're exactly right - and this is why I picked saddle - because it does run away in portions, both one part of the back and one part on the side.  It's prevalent on alot of OCGCC number 2 comes to mind and 8 at dornick that little back right bit - right?

MIght 8 at OCGCC be a better example of a knoll hole?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:02:29 PM by Jay Flemma »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back