News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

O.T. Heart and soul of a professional golfer.
« on: August 19, 2007, 04:00:16 PM »
We often measure the high profile pro golfers by varying definitions of whether they have heart and soul.  

There is the Tiger heart of a champion in his killer instincts to win big tournaments.  But, we also give the nod to him as a great sportsman who has a foundation to do good deeds.  He obviously is very successful at all these endeavors.  Tiger is among many high profile athletes that do have a commitment to give back through foundations.  The level of giving back is all relative to a great extent based on what they have to give.

But, look at this statement by K.J. Choi, the Korean, who recently stated that if he wins the Fed Ex, he is going to give it all to charity, underpriveleged kids, etc.  That really is high commitment and admirable generosity.   Oh, he hasn't won it yet... but he sure shows some class.

“If I’m able to win it, I want to give it all to charity, 100 percent,” Choi told the Associated Press.

“I could think of so many things I could do with that money, so many good things,” Choi added through his agent and interpreter, Michael Yim of IMG.

“I want to help a lot of the unfortunate kids around the world. I want to set up my own foundation, like Tiger. Thinking about what I can do with that money, it just motivates me.”

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff_Brauer

Re:O.T. Heart and soul of a professional golfer.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 05:34:45 PM »
Didn't Tiger chastise him a bit for not realizing it was $10M in his retirement fund, so that money wouldn't be available to his charity for that amount of time?

KJ will probably refigure this, once he realizes what shape our social security system is in.......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 05:46:46 PM »
Jeff, ooops, I am a big stupid... I thought it was a barrel of cash as well.   ::)

The cybergolf piece and web article I read didn't make that distinction, nor had I put that retirement fund aspect together prior to now...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 06:26:54 PM »
Help.
I can't be bothered looking up the details. Does this whole Fedup thing mean there's only going to be 30 players actually playing by the time we get to Atlanta?
And,
what is the story with the 10mill?

How apt that it should all end up in 'Frankly, my dear, I couldn't give a damn' town... ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 06:30:44 PM »
watch out Martin.....we have many GCAers who live in this god-foresaken city! (I moved due to weather issues...can live with 100, but cannot live with 0 to 10 for 3 months!)

it is a $10 million annuity...I believe it starts paying at 65....I am sure he will give something pretty big to charity....as he always has when he has won on tour

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 06:36:45 PM »
Michael,
you KNOW I will get to Georgia some time. So be afraid, be VERY afraid! ;)

No doubt Atlanta is a tad warmer than St A (at ANY time of year!)

There's been absolutely NO mention of the annuity thing in any of the pre-coverage here. It's just been 'and the WINNER gets 10mill!!!' Selective reporting wins again...

But will the field be only 30 or not??????

cheers,
FBD.

John Keenan

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 06:42:50 PM »
Alan Doyle donated his Charles Schwab Cup winnings to charity. Not as much as the Fed Ex but still quite nice

Tom Watson did the same in honor of Bruce Edwards.

Both extremely nice and classy moves.
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 06:43:13 PM »
I think it will be 30...same as before

And if you are going to be in Hotlanta anytime soon, let me know...Chez Christensen has availability almost any week! (bring any fake police badge and Peachtree could be a possibility.....)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 06:48:03 PM »
I think it will be 30...same as before

And if you are going to be in Hotlanta anytime soon, let me know...Chez Christensen has availability almost any week! (bring any fake police badge and Peachtree could be a possibility.....)

Ah! For things of that nature, I have my Dearest Uncle Dick. So, I got that going for me... ;)

Unc,
sorry tae haijeck this braw discoorse wi' things o' a distastefully fiscal naychur. Ye ken ah dinna mean ill o' ye.

yours aye,
neffers Merty.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 01:01:23 AM »
Aye Martie, doon'na ye preeocupiee yerself one wee bit wi tae deevershin.  Unfortuitooislee I din'na get tae bieg 10 miliun annuitee fer meh own pinshun, ore'Ida paid ye a visut teu tae auld sod ulreadie.  Ann'ai woodta gief a grate bit teu tae starvin peegimies een afrika teu. ;D

igrowgrass

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 01:06:23 AM »
Fed Ex Should have split the pot in half, 5 mil for the player and 5 mil to charity in that players name.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back