News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Rules question
« on: August 19, 2007, 03:09:52 PM »
Does any remember the name of the British player that fell afoul of the rule about a foreign substance on the clubface?

I believe Trevino was playing in the Ryder Cup and and called an opponent (could have been Bembridge or Huggett) for spitting on the face of his driver. I have heard that the player in question rarely played thereafter. Snopes, where are you?

Bob

Tony_Muldoon

Re:Rules question
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 07:06:40 AM »
Bob I don't recall that one but it does remind me that Faldo cried foul when Lyle fixed a plaster to his putter to cut down on the glare.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 07:54:42 AM »
Guy Hunt, in about 1976 told me that spitting on the club face helps gain distance into the wind. I am not sure if it was Guy re the Trevino incident and I am not sure if its illegal. Strangely Guy Hunt is now a referee.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

JohnV

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 08:41:41 AM »
I went to a book on rules incidents that I have at work and it didn't mention this, although I seem to recall reading about it somewhere.

The Faldo / Lyle incident is mentioned.  It took place in the Kenyan Open many years ago.  Lyle was DQ'ed for putting the tape on in the middle of the round.

Adrian, it is against the rules to put something on the face of your club to modify the playing characteristics.  Some players believe that wetting the face will cause the ball to fly lower and run more.

C. Squier

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »
Wetting the clubface takes spin off, which can lead to a lower ballflight and less hook/slice.  

Chapstick also performs (much better actually) the same way.  

Knew a kid at a rival highschool that used to chapstick his driver.  He also had packs of all green lifesavers in his bag.  Perfect little tees for him to roll his ball onto....not necessarily on the teebox.

CPS

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 10:18:41 AM »
Look, if a golfer wants to get into that kind of illegal crap he may as well just be obvious about it.

Have any of you ever tried to hit a driver out of a teed ball with a paper cup over it?

(If you try it remember to get the ball up against the paper cup where the driver face meets it).

It's unbelievable in that it inevitably flies straight and the cool thing is it's so damn loud the rest of the players on the course will think the revolution just started.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 12:22:02 PM »
Tom

Is there a rule about that paper cup thingy?  I've got a big match in about 25 NY minutes against a much better player and am scrambling for any kind of advantage.  Thanking you in advance....

Rich

Daryl David

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 01:42:08 PM »
Dead Solid Perfect. It goes something like this:

Spec: Man's called Bad Hair.  Says he gets to tee it up everywhere, even in bunkers and he uses the grease

Kenny Lee: I'm not playing him

Spec: You can take him

Kenny Lee: But he uses the grease!

Spec: Grease don't help a duck hook, boss

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back