News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Jacobs Creek Event (Adelaide) NLE
« on: August 02, 2007, 12:20:08 AM »
It was announced last night that Jacobs Creek (through their French owners Pernod Ricard I think) have pulled the pin on sponsoring the Adelaide event that has been part of the nationwide Tour for the last few years.  It was held at kooyonga, then Royal Adelaide for  several years before returning to Kooyonga last year.  The event will not be held in February 2008.

I mention this as I know a number of GCA'ers have enjoyed seeing some classic course events on the TV during your winter.

The event has been picked up by Melbourne (well, Mornington peninsula actually) for the next three years.  It will still be a Nationwide Event, but it will be played at Moonah Links on the Open course (the Peter Thompson design that was discussed here before, and has been used for two Australian Opens, the last in November 2005).  The sponsor is the owner/developer of the Moonah Links facility.

So, the two Nationwide events played down under (Mornington Peninsula and Christchurch, New Zealand) will both be played on modern golf courses, each associated with local development.   :(

James B

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Garland Bayley

Re:Jacobs Creek Event (Adelaide) NLE
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:59:25 PM »
 :( :( :( :(
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 06:12:55 PM »
James,

For the first time in 40 years there will not be a big professional event in Adelaide - although the Eisenhower is there in October.
It will be interesting to see if they resserect the South Australian Open in some form.

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 07:56:42 PM »
Mike

I understand that there are major events in the other (mainland) states of Australia in the coming year, so SA will miss out, for the first time in so many years.

Will the SA Open be reborn?  I expect it will in some form or other, but I expect other is more likely.  I think SA golf club members still contribute $5 to $10 in our annual membership to SA Open type costs, and I am not expecting to see our affiliation fees drop.

However, finding a commercial sponsor in South Australia and retaining access to the State Government's major event funding will be difficult.  I think Bob Tuohy's work with the State Golf Association over the last 20 plus years will be recognised.

James B

ps  the response of the Nationwide Tour players to the Moonah Links Open course will be 'interesting'.  I expect the rough will not be overly thick in late february, ie at the end of the summer drought period.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 08:17:20 PM »
the response of the Nationwide Tour players to the Moonah Links Open course will be 'interesting'.  I expect the rough will not be overly thick in late february, ie at the end of the summer drought period.

They had better hope the rough won't be too thick, as I can't imagine there will be much tramping down by spectators...

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 03:29:36 AM »
Mark

do you think they will rope off the fairways to manage the crowds of spectators?

James B

Mark_F

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 04:45:41 AM »
James,

That's an interesting one.  

It would be beneficial for the event to allow spectators the run of the fairways as they do at the Victorian Open each year at Woodlands, but I wouldn't imagine there is much chance of that happening.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back