News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philippe Binette

Apologies on Sagebrush
« on: November 01, 2008, 12:37:42 PM »
All right:

I've received some complaints from different sources about my comments on Sagebrush. Some of my comments have offended some readers (members of GCA.com or not) and, more importantly, it made friends, Jeff Mingay and Rod Whitman, look bad.

First off, I'll take full resposibility for my comments.
Second, they were probably too emotional and too direct and lack professionalism.
Once again, I'm proud of the work done at Sagebrush, I think it's going to be a unique course (great, good or not so good, I'll let people decide).
Third, I respect Mr Zokol for the determination on such an adventurous project, it wouldn't exist without him.
There were some stuff we didn't agree on, during and after construction and that's good...
I just felt Sagebrush was worthy of going the extra mile to get even closer to perfection, but overall it's a spectacular effort that has been done over there

A website like this gives perception of unlimited freedom, but freedom as to be taken with care, and freedom stops where other people freedom begins.

I hope my apologies will be accepted.

Thank you

Philippe Binette

Gary Slatter

Re: Apologies on Sagebrush
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 01:09:54 PM »
comments are comments, and you are entitled to comment.  And I like the Dukes.  Imagine if it were in Kitchener, or Chicago.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tom Naccarato

Re: Apologies on Sagebrush
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 02:07:27 PM »
Phillipe,
Apparently I've said things in the past where you didn't either see the humor, or at the very least didn't agree architecturally, and a lot of that has to do with really listening on both ends. its your choice to read this or not read it.

While I haven't read the Sagebrush thread and haven't seen the length of which it has been discussed, I do have this to say, just like Gary, you are entitled to your opinions because that is what this site is all about: the discussion of Golf Architecture. Even better that you have had a chance to work with a touring professional (former) and Rod Whitman, someone that is respected pretty well in architectural circles.

Many here misconstrue many of my criticisms as personal. They really aren't so much as they are my opinions of a situation or situations at hand. Disagreement in the design and building process I think is vitally important in some cases, especially for people that can't nor do what to listen to others ideas or principles that could only benefit them. I've been through this with several architects int he past; some want to hear it, others don't. Some just can't handle it. It doesn't have to be personal at the end of the day, but certainly heated debate and discussion in regards to principles--a very important thing in collaboration. Its helps ease the refinement in some cases.

You should be proud of what you have created and what you have created with others. Never waver, but most, learn that we should always be students looking at, and learning from each and every lesson. Brad Klein once said to me that 90% of golf architecture is problem solving, and that statement rings true just not in the design end of it but also the personality and egos involved. If someone can't take the criticism then they are in the wrong business. (I'm learning that fact more and more each day)

Looking at the Sagebrush thread, I see where someone has removed one of your comments--or at least it looks like it. The only thing I see which could be damaging is bringing your French-Canadian heritage into this. That's just not necessary.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back