News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Keenan

Re:Claremont CC
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 09:13:20 AM »
On the use of carts, the times I have been there  admittedly to eat (one of my better skills) it seemed that the membership was a bit on the older side. In fact they have a stair/elevator set up to help members who have a hard time climbing the stairs.  This may explain why the use of carts today rather that caddies and walking.

Amazing how the entire facility is tucked away in a very dense urban area. Tough to see the rather small as to where to turn in as I remember. On the clubhouse it is a great old building
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 10:01:54 AM »
Jeff - oh I know it's no Boulder Ridge, that's for sure.  Just do understand the choice to ride there was not mine.  We were put in carts without ever being asked.  I also don't recall seeing anyone walking.

Thus my incredulity.

But I surely do need to play there again - I really liked that course.  It's rather quirky.   ;D

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 07:15:54 PM »
Bump - finally saw the course under decent weather a couple of days ago; more photos!

Clubhouse

#1 approach

#1 behind green

#2 - weird par 3

#3 fronting bunker

approach to #4 thru #7 fairway

excellent greensite on #5

#6 bunkers yet to be restored

#7 walk with #4 green on LH of photo

#8 tee shot

#8 green

#9 tee shot

#9 approach

#11 tee shot

#11 approach

#13 tee shot

#17 tee shot

#17 green

#18 approach
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 10:31:06 PM »
Jon,
2 and 3 look great. Any idea when the holes were finished? Do you have any idea if they thinned the trees down the left of 2? How close is that front bunker to the creek on 8?

Sorry for all the questions... caddied there as a kid.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2007, 02:24:06 PM »
#2 is weird; only playing it one time, the boundary fence cuts in at a diagonal, effectively pin high to the right. The building behind the green provides for an odd visual effect. I think the play is short with a run-up to the back-front sloped green. A good test @ 215 yards after a 440 yard par 5 opener.

#3 was excellent; unfortunately I hit a lousy shot in the back bunker :'(. The green is fairly large for a 125 yard tee shot. The front right bunker was interesting; hardly visible from the tee, with a mound in front, and it slopes toward the green...so the picture posted, the tee is on the right with the green on the left.

The bunker on 8 is adjacent to the creek, with 10-15 yards of fairway between it and the LH fronting bunker on the green.

Our caddy for the day had carried there for 50 years. They require you to take one if a member has 2 or more guests. There are 4-6 holes left to restore; I believe Doak/Urbina have been out there for the last 3-4 years doing a few holes at a time. I cannot comment to the accuracy, but I have seen photos of original #11 and that is a bullseye.

I really enjoyed the course. At the end of the day, you've hit most everything in the bag, with a diverse set of par 3's. Restoring #10 would help. What I find interesting are the expanses of fairway with little or no bunkering other than at the greensites.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2007, 03:04:07 PM »
Thanks...
Unfortunately 10 was rebuilt not long ago, one of the last projects before the master plan was implemented. The hole that I really want to see fixed is 6 -- it has the potential to be one of the best short 4's around. Those trees are awful.

What was your caddy's name?

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2007, 12:29:09 AM »
Caddy's name was "Ron". I would say he was 70-75 years young :).

What I can't figure out about 6 is that every other hole on the front has been touched up. An interesting hole that is adversely impacted by the newer drivers. A moderately long player can take the trees and most angles out of play with a well struck drive.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back