News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

O/T..House Dress Code
« on: July 25, 2007, 03:49:19 PM »
At least he didn't wear a hat!

SUMMER FASHION: Republican Lawmaker Rebuked For Striding Onto House Floor In Hawaiian Shirt, Slippers
Wed Jul 25 2007 10:35:30 ET

Granted, it is summer, when dress codes tend to get a little looser in the face of Washington's starched-shirt- wilting heat. But a slipper-clad Rep. Gary Miller (R-Calif.) apparently took the summer casual look a little too far and he got a dressing down for, well, dressing down!

ROLL CALL reports: During a House vote at about 7:30 p.m. on Monday, Miller strode onto the floor wearing a look better suited to a backyard cookout than the House chamber: a loose-fitting Hawaiian shirt, linen pants and slippers.

The sartorial faux pas even prompted Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas), who was presiding over the chamber at the time, to weigh in: "The chair must remind Members that the proper standard of dress in the chamber is business attire, which includes both coat and tie for gentlemen."

But Lee, herself, has also gone summer casual on the House floor, staffers mock!

Bob

Pat Brockwell

Re:O/T..House Dress Code
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 05:36:28 PM »
It's appalling! Otherwise our government is doing just great though, don't you think?

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 01:09:29 AM »
Showing up in Congress in a Hawaiian shirt is truly classless. Unfortunately, that buffoon is from the state I reside in. :-[
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 03:42:42 AM »
As Bob alluded to, the presiding representative happened to be wearing a WNBA T-shirt.  What's the thing about the glass houses and the stones?  :)

If you're going to have Casual Monday, fair is fair.

Jason

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 04:39:59 AM »
Last time I visited the House (2004), my (then) 10-year old daughter was sitting in the chamber, wearing a "My Little Pony" t-shirt, while a very small number of Congressmen and Congresswomen were debating some arcane funding element relating to the Iraq war.

Who was it that compared the making of laws to the making of sausage?

EDITED TO MAINTAIN THE TRUTH WHILST PROTECTING THE INNOCENT.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:42:18 AM by Richard Farnsworth Goodale »

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 06:17:09 AM »
Maybe he was confused and thought he was at a Cash Bar?

8)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 05:36:12 PM »
Congress IS a cash bar.  But it's our cash.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 07:02:43 PM »

Who was it that compared the making of laws to the making of sausage?

Bismarck.

PS If you're concerned about the dress code on the floor, you won't want to hear about the dress code of certain members, or complete lack thereof, sometimes found in the hideaways just off the floor!

Steve Lapper

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 12:07:25 AM »
Congress IS a cash bar.  But it's our cash.

EXACTLY!!! (glad someone figured it out 8))
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 11:54:33 AM »
I guess somebody told him it was casual July ::)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John_Conley

misnomer
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »
Shouldn't it be called a Californian shirt in this instance?

ed_getka

Re:misnomer
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 09:49:01 PM »
Shouldn't it be called a Californian shirt in this instance?

No, because everyone in Calif. doesn't wear them. At least not with the panache of Dan King. 8)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back