News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

...Champion's Run.

Forgive me if I've missed any previous threads.

Can anyone enlighten the uninitiated?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 02:43:10 PM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Boerger

Re:Carnack Comeback; Omaha, Nationwide Tour and Jeffrey Brauer....
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 03:10:50 PM »
Adam - Not sure what you're asking here, but I've played this course 15 times or so, and my host is a member there who plays off scratch. It's about 7400 from the tips, with wide fairways and generally flat greens and is kept (IMO at least) in excellent condition. The rough is generally very penal. All the par 5's are reachable for the top players. 16 is a great 3 par, IMO.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 03:18:05 PM »
Dan, Thanx. I wasn't limiting what I was looking for. You shared nicely.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ken Moum

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 03:30:24 PM by kmoum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 05:14:18 PM »
Adam -- I've never played, but watched the event for most of the last 10 years and caddied in the 2002 event when my guy was second to last. It was my fault.

Anyway....

Pretty good golf course. If I were doing math, I'd say this was Jeff's third official course in Nebraska and his first private. He designed a new nine @ Holdrege CC first, then some Lincoln stuff: Highlands (a city owned facility) and Woodland Hills (a family owned public) that are super fun and a green reconstruction of William Tucker's Pioneers GC.

Then, I think it was off to Champions. Bold stuff in Nebraska for the early 1990s. I think it opened in 1992 or 1993 and it's been hosting this event since 1996, so the course is well thought of.

You actually have picture my favorite hole on the course, #4. It's about 315 yards for the boys and they have a load of fun with it: mostly somewhere between 2 and 6.

I always say if it weren't for Youngscap and Dye thinking up Firethorn and Jeff bringing back fun golf to Nebraska, we'd probably have never seen places like Sand Hills and Wild Horse.

The facts are pretty simple. Until Jeff came, there wasn't anything worth playing in Nebraska that was daily fee, period. Except maybe Heritage Hills. Now, 16 years later, I can name 20 public courses that have been built since Jeff did the Lincoln stuff that I'd drive to.

I didn't really answere your quesiton, did I. Front nine is pretty good with a couple of cool short par-4s, the aforementioned 4th and the 9th -- where Chip Beck made a one a few years ago.

Back has four great finishing holes: 15 is about 470, 16 is 230 and a par-3 into the wind, 17 is a reachable 5 and 18 is about 450 up a hill into the wind to a wonderful setting to end a Nationwide event. The get about 10,000 there on Thursday and Friday and close to 20,000 each day on the weekend.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 05:57:19 PM »
Thanx, kmoum, Tony.

Funny you mention Heritage Hills.

WTG Jeffrey!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 05:57:51 PM by Adam Clayman »

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 06:03:48 PM »
Have you been to Heritage Hills? I've heard it's a housing complex now, but was great fun in the early to mid 90s.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 06:17:59 PM »
HH was the first course I ever played in this region in '91. I was going to Denver in late Jan. and it was 70 degrees crossing the plains. I stopped in Iowa and Lincoln to play, turned around in Grand Island's parking lot. ( I owe them a play)

I didn't know about HH until I was planning my trip home. It was on this day in early Feb that he weather started to turn. We played the front in 40 degrees 30 mph winds. Only one other soul braved the backnine with me. By the time we had finished it was 30 degrees and 40 mph winds. The magical part was, everything I threw at the hole for bogie, went in. Absolutely the best 45 one could hope for.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:18:28 PM by Adam Clayman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back