News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Matthew Hunt

What US Club Crest is......
« on: June 19, 2007, 01:47:47 PM »
What US Club Crest has a Fox with a hunting horn above it?

I will delete the thread when I get the answer.

Peter_Herreid

Re:What US Club Crest is......
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 01:48:22 PM »
That would be the venerable Myopia Hunt Club, north of Boston

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 01:52:07 PM »
So Matthew, you think you are the new Tommy N? You think just anybody can delete a thread? You can't even delete your post!

For the curious amongst us, what motivated the question?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 02:17:08 PM »
You can just delete by deleting the first post on the thread I think, I've done it before.

Some Man staying at my grandparents B+B gave them a hat with that crest on it, as well as 20 Pro V's(They are £4 each over here!)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 02:34:04 PM »
You can just delete by deleting the first post on the thread I think, I've done it before.

Did you get your answer? If so try deleting the first post. You might have a surprise in store for you.  :D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 03:33:53 PM »
I wonder if it was pro Bill Safrin coming over with a few members....
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Michael Christensen

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 03:57:23 PM »
I can remember playing with a few Myopia members in S Carolina.  They mentioned a club sanctioned trip to Ireland....on one of the last nights in the pubs, a local came up and asked where they were all from.  He then asked what "the rat and plunger" emblem meant??  I always get a kick out of that!  It does look like a rat!

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 04:00:21 PM »
They told my grandmother that the crest won awards.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 04:14:19 PM »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 05:27:34 PM »
Here it is:

Looks similar to the Toronto Hunt Club:

I imagine that other "Hunt Clubs" have similar crests.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 06:12:18 PM »
I can remember playing with a few Myopia members in S Carolina.  They mentioned a club sanctioned trip to Ireland....on one of the last nights in the pubs, a local came up and asked where they were all from.  He then asked what "the rat and plunger" emblem meant??  I always get a kick out of that!  It does look like a rat!

That Toronto Hunt Club logo must be the 'Rat, Plunger and Sheep's Testicles' one, then eh??? ;)

I'm not so sure about the MyOpIA mix of upper and lower case. Way too moderne for such an old institution...

FbD.

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 07:26:50 PM »

That Toronto Hunt Club logo must be the 'Rat, Plunger and Sheep's Testicles' one, then eh??? ;)

I'm not so sure about the MyOpIA mix of upper and lower case. Way too moderne for such an old institution...

FbD.

Are you confusing modern with Greek?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 06:39:32 PM »
Garland,
that was moderne with the added - dare I say - rather jaunty 'e'! ;D

Are you saying that MyOpIA should actually be pronounced 'Peoria'? ;D

fBd.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 06:59:19 PM »
PS
Someone please tell me that another group of American wits had the good sense to name a golf course, 'Presbyopia' in response to this one... 8)

Fuzzy Blind Distance viewer.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 07:05:39 PM »
PS
Someone please tell me that another group of American wits had the good sense to name a golf course, 'Presbyopia' in response to this one... 8)

Fuzzy Blind Distance viewer.

A presbyopic person could see the prey of the hunt, whereas a myopic one couldn't. Therefore, there would be nothing unique about presbyopic hunters that would need calling attention to.

I suppose an alternative name for Myopia Hunt Club would be Unsuccessful Hunt Club.
 ;D

Brad Tufts

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 08:34:04 PM »
As the legend goes, the club was founded by the four sons of the Mayor of Boston in the 1870's.  They all wore glasses....hence...Myopia.  I believe the founding date is 1872 or 1874 or so.  There is a piece of wood connected to one of the fireplaces in the clubhouse that has the founding date.  I believe this board came from the original clubhouse.

The first clubhouse the club used was located in Winchester, MA, and they moved looking for more land over which to play polo and golf.  I believe the golf course (9 holes) opened in about 1888, and held its first US Open 10 years later.

They still have 50 "hounds" on site, and have a ceremonial hunt once a year, but it's drag hunting, where the hounds follow a dragged scent around the property,which stretches far across the street from the polo field on Rte. 1A.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 10:25:30 PM »
They told my grandmother that the crest won awards.

Crests don't win awards, people who wear them do.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back