News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

It's not a garden, it's a golf course
« on: June 15, 2007, 03:11:20 PM »
I've just finished playing a few holes with the deputy-captain at Wilmslow.  Since last I played there in the summer they have chopped quite a few trees down to let more air in to the course and they have allowed wild meadow to prevail in the unoccupied parts of the course where previously there had been ornamental rhodadendrons and the like.  Some of those trees had been seriously impinging on strategy (16th hole) and the newly aerated hole is a great improvement.  There has been some complaint from the members, but it struck me that they were doing a great deal for ecology and shunning eye-candy at the same time.  Anyone hitting their ball into the wild areas will lose the ball, but the fairways are wide, there are three cuts of rough and anyone going there deserves to lose the ball.  Maybe the message is getting through - it was not long ago that members were being encouraged to supply young trees for planting!  The deputy-captain summed it up with, 'It's not a garden, it's a golf course'.  The old buffers won't like it, but I fancy they are on the right lines.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 03:11:58 PM by Mark_Rowlinson »

David_Tepper

Re:It's not a garden, it's a golf course
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 03:59:10 PM »
Mark -

That is good news indeed. Hopefully, after a year or two, when the turf of their course is in much better condition, the entire membership at Wilmslow will realize how much removing the trees has improved their golf course.

It is nice to see the message is spreading. I hope that seeing Oakmont on TV this weekend will spread the message even further.

DT

Tony_Muldoon

Re:It's not a garden, it's a golf course
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 06:29:44 PM »
David I agree about spreading the message, but from those who can remember previous Opens at Oakmont has the tree removal changed the way it plays?  I ask because all the media I've seen go on about the trees being removed to restore the original look. I'm not sure the "need to manage trees for the good of the course” angle is being broadcast in this case.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back