News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Murfield Village #12
« on: June 01, 2007, 11:32:18 AM »
Is this hole a virtual Ohio clone of Augusta 12?  Granted - there are differences, but the water, the bunkering, the narrow green - I thought I was watching the Masters!

If you've been there, just how similar is it to ANGC's 12th hole?

And, is Murfield Village Jack's best?

Gary Slatter

Re:Murfield Village #12
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 12:06:09 PM »
I bet Adam Scott thinks it's Jack's best, maybe quite a bit of Bob Cupp in the design too. Scott just birdied 8 in a row.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 02:13:26 PM »
I've been there but not played it. The hole does have a lot of similarities with the angled green and water, but I believe the green has a lot more slope to it. (?)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 03:41:19 PM »
I think Jack has been pretty open about it being his tribute to Augusta 12, and it is a good one. Not exact, but close in style and design elements. At one time, there were stacked bunkers above the green, which I liked. The top one was taken out as out of play, I presume.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tim Rooney

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 11:39:56 PM »
D.Muirhead stated #12 was totally his design.The original  green was two tiered, upper 1/3 Rt corner.Regardless, an excellent Hole.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 02:01:47 PM »
I have played both courses and I really don't think they are very similar in how they play.

The angle at Muirfield seemed more acute and the green at Muirfield is way more severe than at ANGC.  Plus (obvioulsy) one is a par 4 whose shot into the green depends on the drive and the luck of where and what lie the ball ends up in.  

Both are fantastic holes but the similarities are purely cosmetic.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 03:30:04 PM »
Chris -- I'm pretty sure they are both par 3's.  

12 at ANGC plays a bit tougher in the tournaments -- 3.30 vs. 3.12 at MV.  Is that because ANGC's green complex is harder?  The swirling winds?  Something else?

Chris Cupit

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 07:23:41 AM »
Yeah--I was thinking of the second shot into #14 :P

Both #12s are very good short iron par threes.  I think MV plays a lot easier for a couple of reasons:
1.  the downhill shot give a better look at the green and there is a better "comfort factor" looking at the entire target from above versus being eye level at ANGC and barely seeing any green.
2.  The depth of the green at MV is greater down the middle
3.  The bail out left at MV isn't nearly as "dead" as long left at ANGC.

Overall though biggest difference is the visual.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back