News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeremy_Glenn.

Coarser sand in fairway bunkers?
« on: May 28, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »
Hello all,

We're in the process of finishing construction of a new golf course (a nine-hole expansion of an existing golf club).  The superintendent mentionned that he had heard that a coarser sand was sometimes used in fairway bunkers (with a finer sand in greenside bunkers, one would assume).

I have never heard of this idea.  Any comments?

Thanks!

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Coarser sand in fairway bunkers?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 04:16:47 PM »
Jeremy, Hope all is well!

Use anything that is going to expose the truest nature of the elements of that particular site on all of the bunkers. Trust me, this is the only way. Anything to detract from the damage that has been done by the green committees before it; as well as the developers who've destroyed the once pristine nature of a beautiful environment.

Nature should abound at all costs.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 04:28:50 PM »
Jeremy:

I have heard of architects using LESS sand in the fairway bunkers than around the greens -- four inches instead of six -- so it will be firmer, and since presumably the bunkers will see a lot less play and lose less sand over time.

I've never heard of using a different sand for fairway bunkers for technical reasons other than to save a bit of money.

paul cowley

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 04:43:56 PM »
Jeremy....I dont know about coarser sand but I was playing Peachtree recently, and played a sand shot with the sun in front of me.....upon looking up after hitting I was surprised to see all sorts of colors and sparkles floating around me....for a split second I thought I was hallucinating [not that I would know what a hallucination looked like]. :)

I guess they must be using some kind of mica or quartzy sands. It sure was different.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 10:20:31 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 07:35:54 PM »
Paul,

What kind of mushrooms are they using in the mushroom soup at Peachtree?  Bring me up a bowl next time you're up this way.  You promised to make time to play golf as well.  After we have some soup   8)

paul cowley

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 07:58:43 PM »
Wayne.....no problema mon....hey, does your club allow tie dyed Polos? ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:59:09 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 09:23:16 PM »
Yah, dat aright bredda rude bwoy 8)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 09:24:32 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 09:45:17 PM »
Maybe Ron Kern can tell you about the type of sand he used at Purgatory. It was unique, never seemed to plug. It might be good for fairways, when most of us mortals hope to be able to advance at least reasonably.

Think perhaps it was limestone crushed to sand. Cannot be certain.

Doug

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 10:05:06 PM »
Thanks everyone.

We had out site meeting today, and it was (wisely) decided to use the same sand in all bunkers.

Cheers,

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 03:47:14 AM »
Jeremy,

good to hear common sense has prevailed. A club down the road from my parents used to have a local sand in the bunkers that had the consistency of concrete. They decided to replace it with a nice golden quarz sand which went down well with the members until the seniors discovered it was much harder to play out of the fairway bunkers. The quarz was left in the greenside bunkers but removed from the fairway ones to the pleasure of the senior captain. They still have long debates about several bunkers on the course at the 50 to 80 yard range and the sand here has been changed several times.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back