News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

Oakmont's course profile is updated...
« on: May 24, 2007, 10:10:37 AM »
...and is found under Architecture Timeline and Courses by Country.

In contrast to the man himself, Ran's golf game is rather modest. :) Therefore it has always amazed that two of his five or six favourite courses are two of their country's toughest tests. Part of that probably has to do with what great match play courses Oakmont and Royal County Down are.

Like George Crump, it is no surprise that the three men most responsible for Oakmont (H.C. Fownes, W.C. Fownes and Emil Loeffler) were all excellent golfers.

In the Pine Valley/Merion mould, Oakmont's architecture is so unique as it was the concentrated effort of each architect's work. I believe, this originality is why the course remains remarkably fresh each time one plays it. It is also a stark difference with many of today's architects who might design 20+ courses.

Given Oakmont's elite standing in American golf over the last century, isn't it more amazing that more of its features have not been copied (and I am not talking about the Church Pews at courses like Tour 18 and Wooden Sticks ::) )?

Chris_Clouser

Re:Oakmont's course profile is updated...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 11:56:01 AM »
Ben,

Who provided the photos?  I may have missed it as I only skimmed through the write-up.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 01:10:16 PM »
One of the best write-ups on the entire site. Great writing and incredible pictures. And by far the hardest-looking golf course I've ever seen.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 01:56:09 PM »
Chris,
Ran photographed the course and did the write up.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 02:00:49 PM »
Chris,
Ran photographed the course and did the write up.

He did a great job!  I thought it was extremely well done and very informative.  Great pictures too.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 05:56:24 PM »
My anticipation for the U.S. Open this year just got raised a few notches.  Great review (as always).

Cheers,
Brad

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 05:58:38 PM »
Just when I think progress is being made in the fight against trees, I read this:

"Chopping down more than 5,000 trees turned Oakmont from my top U.S. Open venue into my least favorite. They've ruined the masterpiece."

-- John Elliott, teaching pro at St. Andrews Golf & Country Club in West Chicago, Ill., as quoted in this week's Sports Illustrated Golf Plus

Perhaps golf editors should make it a rule never to ask pros what they think of a course.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 06:38:08 PM »
The photos with that review are fantastic.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 09:59:20 AM »
Wow - Ran has truly outdone himself with this review.  It is the best yet and a thorough lesson on analysis of golf course architecture. KUDOS!!!

Phil Benedict

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 10:27:20 AM »
Another tour de force effort by Ran.  One of the best things about the majors is the anticipation of seeing the course.  This year's US Open is special because the course is both very old but also in a way new.  Can't wait!

JSlonis

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 11:41:11 AM »
Ran,

Thanks for the excellent profile, pictures and analysis.  The Open should be a lot of fun to watch.

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 01:16:56 PM »
A writer like that should've contributed more to the discussion on the weekly series....

:)

Nicely done, as always.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 12:43:17 AM »
Very nice indeed!
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back