News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Clouser

Tommy's Honor
« on: May 24, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »
Has anyone else purchased this book yet?  

I have read the first couple of chapters and it is quite fascinating.  I would have never thought about the rigors of making a feathery ball until I read this book.

David Stamm

Re:Tommy's Honor
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 01:07:14 PM »
I'm in the middle of reading it right now. It's a pretty good book so far. The author has done a good job of making the reader feel that they can acuurately imagine what the time period was like.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 02:04:17 PM »
"The author has done a good job of making the reader feel that they can acuurately imagine what the time period was like."

Now that is precisely the kind of thing I just love. It takes someone who is dedicatedly accurate with the actual events of history as well as an evocative writer to do that kind of thing well, in my opinion.

You should read the first page of David McCullough's "John Adams" to see how well done this can be.

In the first page he describes Adams and a temporially hired partner on horseback riding side by side up the coast road north of Boston in the dead of winter, January 24, 1776.

McCullough describes it so well you feel you can almost reach over and touch the pink-cheeked Adams wrapped in a cloak and huddled against the freezing wind and snow chattering away to this companion on the other horse.

You could read this on a 95 degree day and it is described so  well and so evocatively I swear it almost makes you shiver from cold of that January day in 1776.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 02:07:10 PM by TEPaul »

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
I bought a copy a couple of weeks ago on Ran's recommendation.

I've only read the introduction so far but I'm hoping to sit in the hammock in the back yard this weekend and get into it a bit more.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 03:03:01 PM »
Jaysus, Tom Paul, the stack's plenty high, acquisitions far outpace dispositions, and yet you would add to it!

Therefore: hey, have you read 1776 or Founding Brothers? How about Chernow's bio of Hamilton?

Doug Bolls

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 05:02:21 PM »
Alright, I just ordered it from Amazon and should get to it right after Feinstein's book on Q-School and Finegan's "Where Golf Is Great".
DB

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 10:49:03 PM »
I really enjoyed Tommy's Honor.  It is difficult to know where fact ends and conjecture begins but it is certainly a good read and you come away with a great deal of respect for Old Tom.  He must have been quite a person.  He buried all of his children, his wife and two gandchildren and still kept his faith and good spirit.
I will second McCulloch's Adams book.  It is an exceptional piece of work.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 07:53:03 AM »
1776 is a good read - shows you courage and pure luck win wars. Einstein is next on the agenda.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back