News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Southward Ho was really fun
« on: May 21, 2007, 06:53:09 PM »
...and low impact to boot.  The greens were not as severely as Bethpage, but several had some really good contours.  Matt, I wasn't as enamored with 8 as you were.  I see why you call it a great hole and it is, but it is a center line drive.  Nevertheless, its one of the highlights of the round.  I liked the routing...two consecutive par 5s at 10 and 11 and a par-3 at 9 means Tille really was flexible in working with what the land gave him.  he could have mailed in an out and back on the rectangualr shaped polt, but really thought about how the holes would flow and really succeeded in making it interesting.

Plus it was nice and laid back.  Does the clubhouse remind anybody else of Mid-Pines or Pine needles?

Jason Blasberg

Re:Southward Ho was really fun
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 08:03:53 PM »
I certainly see why you say 8 is a centerline drive but the aggressive play is a high cut or straight driver over the corner.  I used to do it routinely and now with the ball and clubs longer hitters probably do it with 3 wood.  In fact, with the old irragation system (about 15 yrs ago) in dry weather it was common to drive it too far through the fairway and into the water.

For a flat property the greens have some good contour and I think if either 11 or 15 green were on Quaker Ridge they'd be stand outs.

It's a very stong course from 14 in and is an excellent match play venue for the Havermeyer Invitational.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 08:43:15 PM »
They built a new back tee on 8 to prevent the corner-cut...thats the only thing.  I really liked it nevertheless...something a LIIIIIIITTLE different from the other holes.  That stretch of 8-12 and 16-17 were really good.

I had a really good green reader and clubber in my caddie, Pete.  I would ask for him again.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:50:28 PM »
Pete caddies for our cousin all the time and she has said the same.  

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 08:54:43 PM »
Are we sure its the same pete?  He's relatively new?  As in a couple of months?

Ask her if she knows my friends Steve and Peter Glass.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 09:00:43 PM »
Jay;
Really glad you enjoyed SHCC. Its not in the same league as other Tillinghast greats, but as you said, still is a creative routing and few times you'll see some very special features.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 09:03:34 PM »
Its just that its not as LARGE as BB or WF because its on a much smaller and less hilly plot, that's all.  The greens are still interesting and it was a pleasant low impact day.  It was cool seeing all the plaques commemorating the winners of the havermeyer.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 10:50:20 AM »
Jay:

Glad to hear about your time at Southward Ho!

I always enjoyed playing the course during the Havermeyer event. The course while flat, does provide a neat combination holes and when the wind freshens you need to hit quality shots in order to get to the preferred positions.

Be interested in your thoughts on the final five holes. I still see the par-3 14th as one of the more unheralded par-3's on the Island. Played into the prevailing wind and you need to really strike a fine blow. Tillie is better known for a host of other courses rightly so, however, Southward Ho provides constant fun and is a quality layout for a healthy combination of all types of players.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 11:04:03 AM »
We had a different wind than the prevail, but 14 was a bear, fifteen was interesting...a driveable hole, but watch out for the trees.  I liked 16 and loved 17.  18 was just OK...not "a summation of all that has come before."  I three-putted for a bogey and kicked myself all the way to the car.  What a colossal blunder.

Again,there were some good greens...many rival BB.

Thats OK...yesterday at Bethpage I putted like my depends-wearing, mild-Farina-eating, afghan knitting grandma.  Hey where were you for the MGWA thing yesterday?  Are you going to westchester?

Jason have you seen the new tee box on 8?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 11:06:15 AM by Jay Flemma »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back