News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Ramsay

Re: Tom Simpson
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2002, 05:46:40 PM »
I think Simpson's work at County Louth Baltray shows a lot of his character and styles.  The holes meander through 3 quite different landforms; big dunes, lumpy linksland, and some pretty dull, flat ground as well.  The way he tapered his earthmoving according to the landform is very clever.  Through the dunes he has routed holes with no apparent earthmoving to greens complexes which also appear to be entirely natural.  However those greens complexes are so clever, with all the bunkers, slopes and dips shaping the strategy of the holes, that Simpson must have created them himself.  Through the linksland area a little more earthmoving and shaping is evident, and through the flatter ground he has moved just enough to make those holes 'fit' in with the others, without giving away that they are on quite different ground.  The greens complexes all fit together wonderfully, offering variations which are visually consistent.

Simpson's work at Cruden Bay has always been applauded in this forum, and many have great words on Morfontaine.  I noted with interest the quote from one of Alastair Mackenzie's letter (on an earlier thread a couple of months ago) saying that while Simpson routed good holes, until he stopped using plasticine models to demonstrate his greens to construction crews, his greens would never improve!

And i have to agree with BCrosby that in all the UK architects are overlooked, but the reality is that half the world's golf courses are in the US and over 75% of the world's golfing turnover takes place in North America, so designers, tournaments, and courses in little old Australia, Europe and Asia will invariably be overlooked.  

Greg Ramsay
www.barnbougledunes.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tom MacWood (Guest)

Re: Tom Simpson
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2002, 05:55:34 PM »
Bob
Its from an old Golf Illustrated, I don't have a scanner but I'll send it to you or some else who might be able to post it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back