News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Boehm

Palmetto Dunes & Daufuskie Island
« on: June 24, 2007, 09:19:42 PM »
I'm heading down to Hilton Head next month with my wife and the in-laws and am trying to figure out where to tee it up.    We're staying at Palmetto Dunes.  I have a few questions I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with:

1.  Which are the strongest courses at Palmetto Dunes resort?  I figure we'll probably play 2 of the 3 on site, but I'm not sure which.

2.  How tough is it to get to Daufuskie Island from Hilton Head and how are the courses at the resort?  They look pretty strong, and I can get a decent deal on them, but I'm not sure if the logistics will work out.

3.  If anyone has any other recommendations on Hilton Head, I'm all ears.  I fear that the obvious choice, Harbour Town, is out of the price range for the group.

Mike

Powell Arms

Re:Palmetto Dunes & Daufuskie Island
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 09:38:09 PM »
Mike

I stayed at Palmetto Dunes in June 2006.  None of the courses were especially memorable, primarily due to poor conditioning.  I think the RTJ course was the most interesting.  The Hills course really seemed to drop off in architecture after #2, and the Fazio course had no memorable holes.  That said, all were average SC resort courses, and I hope you find better conditioning that I did.  For reference, I would rank the courses at Kiawah way above those at Palmetto Dunes.  Obviously, that doesnt help your planning for this trip.  

Powell
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 02:53:14 PM by Powell Arms »
PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 09:43:58 PM »
Similar views on Palmetto. I skipped Harbor Town but wished I made the trip to Daufuskie. I am a sucker for island golf. Shivas loves Daufuskie if I remember.

David Ownby

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 08:38:29 AM »
My family has vacationed at HH for the last ten years and I think I have now played most of the courses on and around the island.

If you want to play two of the three in Palmetto Dunes, definitely skip the Fazio. The Jones course is enjoyable (but not necessarily memorable) and the Hills course has some fun holes (although it has lots of water and OB and can be difficult for high handicappers).

I enjoyed the courses at Daufuskie, but it is definitely an all day excursion. If you are going to make the trip, I would play 36 and get the most out of it.

Other public options include Indigo Run (a Nicklaus course that has had some conditioning issues the last time I was there) and Hilton Head National (a fun Gary Player design that is known for excellent conditioning).

Brian Jones

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 09:21:14 AM »
I Have always enjoyed the RTJ course at Palmetto Dunes.  I have not played any of the others.

I have played Melrose at Daufuskie and did not think it was worth the trip.  It was a very long day for just 18 holes.  I would probably play Hilton Head National (18 by Player and 9 by Weed, I believe) either 36 holes or 18 in the morning and the beach or pool in the afternoon instead.

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 10:28:37 AM »
Mike,

I'll chime in as a former staffer at Palmetto Dunes-

Since you are staying in PD you will appreciate the convenience of playing a round at the Jones course.  It is in my mind what Palmetto Dunes is all about, lots of sand, lagoons and you'll literally be on the beach on the 10th green and 11th tee.

Probably would skip Fazio and Hills for golf at Palmetto Hall just a few minutes down the road. This used to be PD's sister property, basically it's 4th and 5th courses, but Greenwood Dev. sold the property a few years ago. The P. Hall Hills course and Cupp course are well maintained and a lot of fun to play.

Daufuskie is a day trip, but one worth taking if you have the time.  You'll catch the ferry at Squire Pope Road, cruise over on a 30-40 minute ride across the sound and forget your worries.

Have fun on the rock :)

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 10:52:49 AM »
Mike-
  Do you have an way to get access to the private courses?

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 01:06:34 PM »
Mike:

I played on Daufuskie Island and the highlight of the day was the ferry ride. The course was in poor shape and I was bored.

May River is a relatively new course built in Palmetto Bluffs, not Dunes, and I thought it was excellent.

Long Cove is private, but if you can get on, you should play it.

Hilton Head is a must play if for no other reason than they hold a tournament there each year and you will know what you are watching on TV.

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Andy Ryall

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 01:35:43 PM »
Would echo Eric's comment above - skip the non-Jones courses at PD and play at least the Hills course at Palmetto Hall.  The Cupp course is odd/unique in that all the course topography is geometrically designed with pyraminds and trapezoids and the like for mounds/greens/bunkers.  

Mike Boehm

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 02:41:34 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions, everybody - very helpful.  Unfortunately, no way for me to gain access to private clubs.  

I'll do some research on the Palmetto Hall courses, and please keep letting me know any other thoughts you have.

Mike

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 08:58:29 PM »
May River is a relatively new course built in Palmetto Bluffs, not Dunes, and I thought it was excellent.

Cary - Just wondering... how did you get access to May River? Were you a guest at the Inn?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back